Create Database

• It would get created. Wouldn't we see most of the times, when database is created by an application had .dat as file extension? I still didn't figured why most applications create database with .dat extension.

Does anyone know about it?

SQL DBA.

• I think some products use .dat as an extension. Someone may just use that as a default, which is a bad idea.

• I think all the complaints are out of line. I answered the question correctly, and I didn't even try to run the code.

• Lynn Pettis (5/12/2009)

I think all the complaints are out of line. I answered the question correctly, and I didn't even try to run the code.

There should be a new rule. From now on whenever someone whines about a question they should lose an additional point.

The Redneck DBA

• Jason Shadonix (5/12/2009)

Lynn Pettis (5/12/2009)

I think all the complaints are out of line. I answered the question correctly, and I didn't even try to run the code.

There should be a new rule. From now on whenever someone whines about a question they should lose an additional point.

Or write one of their own. I've missed my fair share for one reason or another, but I've also written a QOD - it was a lot of work, much more than it looks like on the surface.

• Mine wasn't a complaint - merely an observation.

Sometimes these can actually spark off a really interesting discussion.

I don't, however, have much patience once the same observation has been made over and over again!

Everybody should read the entire discussion before they decide to post to it.

• Hi,

This of course does not work, unless the folder structures are in place on the system in question. Otherwise errors of the form below are returned.

Msg 5133, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Directory lookup for the file "C:\mssql\MYTEST.doc" failed with the operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

Msg 1802, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.

• Rachel Byford (5/13/2009)

I don't, however, have much patience once the same observation has been made over and over again!

Everybody should read the entire discussion before they decide to post to it.

😉

• John Sansom (5/13/2009)

Hi,

This of course does not work, unless the folder structures are in place on the system in question. Otherwise errors of the form below are returned.

Directory lookup for the file "C:\mssql\MYTEST.doc" failed with the operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.

Yep, as several others have already mentioned. If you take a few minutes to read CREATE DATABASE in BOL you'd see that it is required that the directory structure already be in place, therefore for this question it must be assumed that requirement was already met. Based on that, the statement works.

• No points off for whining. I make plenty of mistakes.

However, if you complain, I would like to see you write a question, or even explain how you think this question should be worded.

• Lynn Pettis (5/13/2009)

If you take a few minutes to read CREATE DATABASE in BOL you'd see that it is required that the directory structure already be in place, therefore for this question it must be assumed that requirement was already met. Based on that, the statement works.

Wouldn't an equally valid assumption be that the requirement was not already met (as the path does not exist in a standard installation), and hence that the statement does not work?

Anyway, I'll quit whining as I'm too ignorant to think up any questions of my own :ermm:

• I don't dare submit a question - I'd hate to be on the receiving end of all these complaints! :w00t:

And besides, the only questions I can think of are ones to which I don't yet know the answer... 😉

I repeat from a post on a previous thread though - I love SSC.

• The requirement for the path to exist could be a question. That's certainly valid, but this question asked "will this work" (originally) and then "can this work" (edited). In either case, given the right situation, it will (and can).

It's a simple yes/no, so you would lean yes. If it can never work, as in

CREATE DATABASE MyDB on SAN="\\mysan\mymount"

Then you would lean no.

Feel free to try a question. they don't automatically go out. I look over them and will send them back if they're too vague. So definitely I make mistakes on some of these as well.

• Lynn Pettis (5/13/2009)

John Sansom (5/13/2009)

Hi,

Yep, as several others have already mentioned. If you take a few minutes to read CREATE DATABASE in BOL you'd see that it is required that the directory structure already be in place, therefore for this question it must be assumed that requirement was already met. Based on that, the statement works.

I did actually attempt to remove the post almost immediately after posting it, having only subsequently then noticed the prior pages comments, so yes my mistake.

For some reason though, I am unable to remove the post.

• We don't allow post deletions. We do allow editing.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply