Cranky Curmudgeons

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Cranky Curmudgeons

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I realized not long ago that I’ve spent a good 20 years complaining about how cranky and curmudgeonly SQL DBAs can be. Now I’ve joined their ranks.

• thanks Grant, now I can't CC anyone on an email without feeling guilty (and buying cakes for everyone.)

I used to be cranky, but now i'm the nice DBA who fixes indexes and shows you the new stuff we could use (and quite often why we shouldn't - polybase with MongoDB, Stretch and wild use of functions everywhere)

to play on the CC email joke - I like to think we are all now BCC (better cranky curmudgeons) , purely on the grounds that we log in here and read, contribute, investigate (google still counts as investigating) and learn.

but you are correct - dammit , now I want to buy a Pi and see what I can do

MVDBA

• Congrats on the license upgrade. one more level to go.

We aren't Cranky, it's just hard to get people to understand that everything that's new isn't always better or cheaper just different.

• Joseph Termine wrote:

I realized not long ago that I’ve spent a good 20 years complaining about how cranky and curmudgeonly SQL DBAs can be. Now I’ve joined their ranks.

Welcome to the party pal!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

thanks Grant, now I can't CC anyone on an email without feeling guilty (and buying cakes for everyone.)

I used to be cranky, but now i'm the nice DBA who fixes indexes and shows you the new stuff we could use (and quite often why we shouldn't - polybase with MongoDB, Stretch and wild use of functions everywhere)

to play on the CC email joke - I like to think we are all now BCC (better cranky curmudgeons) , purely on the grounds that we log in here and read, contribute, investigate (google still counts as investigating) and learn.

I like it! We can officially use BCC as well.

DO IT!

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• I always loved having to work with logic like this:

DBAs are an aging population.

Duh! Isn't the whole population aging?

I'm a PROUD CC

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• wayne Freeman-369096 wrote:

Congrats on the license upgrade. one more level to go.

We aren't Cranky, it's just hard to get people to understand that everything that's new isn't always better or cheaper just different.

Got it a week ago. I'm now Amateur Extra.

Oh, I think we do get cranky at times. Some of it is absolutely justified (see that unsecured ElasticSearch database). We just need to be careful of using the crankiness appropriately so we're not seen as blockers, but enablers.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• skeleton567 wrote:

I always loved having to work with logic like this:

DBAs are an aging population.

Duh! Isn't the whole population aging?

I'm a PROUD CC

Yeah, that qualifies.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

AND

on this note, SQL Server on Edge is now in public preview. You can run SQL Server on a Pi.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

AND

on this note, SQL Server on Edge is now in public preview. You can run SQL Server on a Pi.

dammit man - you have just put in my head an idea for IOT type scenario - 100 clustered Pi boxes running edge - clustered SQL ...wait, azure and AWS already did that (even sony playstation did that for cure for cancer)... sadly I lack the free time, the money and more importantly the energy to try it. (I've got so many unwrapped gizmos and gadgets that I intended to work on)

maybe energy is the key - if your DBA is fully charged then we put the B back in BCC

MVDBA

• Get off my lawn.

• LadyRuna wrote:

Get off my lawn.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

This is my lawn. You get off my lawn.

Oh, and test your backups on the way.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• 44 years as a software developer; starting from a mainframe using PL/1, then programming assembler on Intel 8080 8-bit microprocessors, to C++ and now C# on Intel servers. I've used Cygwin at work for extracting data from 800 MB files for reports and used awk to read an Active Directory file to create a CSV file for importing into a new system.

UNIX? Been there, done that. I enjoy working with UNIX. My wife bought me a Sun SPARCStation IPX at a salvage sale to keep my UNIX skills up and I ran that for long while until the internal SCSI hard drive failed. I've had Linux systems at home. I need to build my home network back up with Linux systems and add Windows Server and SQL Server.

Likewise, I want to get a Rasberry Pi. I read an article on setting up a VPN for it.

I hope to retire in 2021 and hopefully get my DEC VAXStation II/GPX up and running a BSD version of UNIX on it.

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

LadyRuna wrote:

Get off my lawn.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

This is my lawn. You get off my lawn.

Oh, and test your backups on the way.

Can we find a way to use optimistic locking so that we can all use the lawn when we need to without blocking others out?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply