Counting the characters in a string before a space

• cbrammer1219 (6/15/2014)

Here's the file being processed.

It's really tough to hit a rolling donut. Where'd the file go?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I am not sure where it went. Here it is again

• I am not sure the original request is still open, but assuming it is, I would definitely go with a CLR scalar function for such a request. Operations on text data are a breeze in a language like C# and, even for scalar functions, the performance is quite good. It was not too difficult for me to code and deploy a CLR that can do the before-space-character-counting and, no joke, my C# skills are rudimentary at best. Below is the C# code for the function, which just needs to be compiled and then added as an assembly to a database.

using System;

using System.Data;

using System.Data.SqlClient;

using System.Data.SqlTypes;

using Microsoft.SqlServer.Server;

public class Count_Char_Between_Space

{

[SqlFunction()]

public static SqlString CountCharBetweenSpace(string ColumnText)

{

int count = 0;

System.Text.StringBuilder sb = new System.Text.StringBuilder();

foreach (char c in ColumnText)

{

if (!char.IsWhiteSpace(c))

{

count++;

}

if (char.IsWhiteSpace(c))

{

sb.AppendLine(count.ToString());

count = 0;

}

}

return sb.ToString();

}

}

Once the assembly is loaded, then a scalar function needs to be created to use it:

CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].CountCharBetweenSpace(@string nvarchar(max))

RETURNS nvarchar(max)

EXTERNAL NAME Count_Char_Between_Space.Count_Char_Between_Space.CountCharBetweenSpace

Using the original data, the function handles the requirements as originally specified.

Create table #SomeValue ( SomeValue varchar(50) )

insert into #SomeValue values

('5 555 55 1 NULL'),

('5 555 55 2 NULL'),

('6 5 5555 hhh 1 NULL'),

('6 5 5555 hhh 2 NULL'),

('6 5 5555 hhh 3 NULL'),

('8 5555 5 lll 1 NULL'),

('8 5555 5 lll 2 NULL'),

('8 5555 5 lll 3 NULL'),

('9 55555 1 k 1 NULL'),

('9 55555 1 k 2 NULL'),

('9 55555 1 k 3 NULL'),

('10 1888 555 jjj55 1 NULL'),

('10 1888 555 jjj55 2 NULL'),

('10 1888 555 jjj55 3 NULL')

SELECT [dbo].CountCharBetweenSpace(isnull(SomeValue,'')) ,SomeValue FROM #SomeValue

• So I don't have to do all of that just to see, what do you get as an output from all of that?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• This is the output:

(No column name)SomeValue

13215 555 55 1 NULL

13215 555 55 2 NULL

11431 6 5 5555 hhh 1 NULL

11431 6 5 5555 hhh 2 NULL

114316 5 5555 hhh 3 NULL

141318 5555 5 lll 1 NULL

141318 5555 5 lll 2 NULL

141318 5555 5 lll 3 NULL

151119 55555 1 k 1 NULL

151119 55555 1 k 2 NULL

151119 55555 1 k 3 NULL

2435110 1888 555 jjj55 1 NULL

2435110 1888 555 jjj55 2 NULL

2435110 1888 555 jjj55 3 NULL

• I have gotten this far, I have the calls separated by the spaces. Now it's joining on the contacts phone number.

• My problem is that I really don't understand what you're trying to do. This start out with "counting characters in a string before a space" and I showed you how to import the file with the correct fields (although I didn't presume to name them because I don't have the record layout). The 5th field is a composite field that is dependent on what type of record the CDR is and could easily be split correctly without have to "count characters before a space" but we need the record layout information for the field.

What is it that you're having problems with?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I used the code you supplied and it works correctly, but the contact information is from a different table(alcont) this table is from a completely different system, I AM INCLUDING A SAMPLE OF THE DATA IN EXCEL.

Here is the sample code I have tried to use. It is returning only outbound calls, not incoming and the contact names aren't being displayed.

WITH

AcctJoin as

(select DISTINCT c.AR_COMPANY_NAME as CompanyName,REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(a.CONTACT_PHONE,'(',''),')',''),' ',''),'-','') as phone

from ARLSQ01.dsg.[dbo].DICE_ALCONCT a

join ARLSQ01.dsg.[dbo].DICE_ARSUBHD b

on a.ACCOUNT_NUMBER=b.ACCOUNT_NUMBER

join ARLSQ01.dsg.[dbo].DICE_ARCUSTMN c

on b.AR_NUMBER=c.AR_NUMBER

WHERE RTRIM(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(a.CONTACT_PHONE,'(',''),')',''),' ',''),'-','')) <> ''

UNION ALL

SELECT e.ar_company_name, REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(d.PHONE_NUMBER,'(',''),')',''),' ',''),'-','')

from ARLSQ01.dsg.[dbo].DICE_ARCONTCT d

join ARLSQ01.dsg.[dbo].DICE_ARCUSTMN e

on d.AR_NUMBER=e.AR_NUMBER

WHERE RTRIM(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(d.PHONE_NUMBER,'(',''),')',''),' ',''),'-','')) <> '')

• Jeff Moden (6/19/2014)

My problem is that I really don't understand what you're trying to do. This start out with "counting characters in a string before a space" and I showed you how to import the file with the correct fields (although I didn't presume to name them because I don't have the record layout). The 5th field is a composite field that is dependent on what type of record the CDR is and could easily be split correctly without have to "count characters before a space" but we need the record layout information for the field.

I've compared this to the MyTel specs I've found and it looks like it is coming from an extraction utility, not a raw CDR. Too busy at the moment to attend to it but will ask around. One thing for certain, counting characters and spaces is not the right approach here.

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (6/19/2014)

Jeff Moden (6/19/2014)

My problem is that I really don't understand what you're trying to do. This start out with "counting characters in a string before a space" and I showed you how to import the file with the correct fields (although I didn't presume to name them because I don't have the record layout). The 5th field is a composite field that is dependent on what type of record the CDR is and could easily be split correctly without have to "count characters before a space" but we need the record layout information for the field.

I've compared this to the MyTel specs I've found and it looks like it is coming from an extraction utility, not a raw CDR. Too busy at the moment to attend to it but will ask around. One thing for certain, counting characters and spaces is not the right approach here.

😎

Got a link for the specs?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (6/19/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (6/19/2014)

Jeff Moden (6/19/2014)

😎

Got a link for the specs?

Only have a printed copy, will try to find an online one.

😎

• Appreciate that but don't do it on my account. I'm thinking that the OP should have such a thing. If not, then we know the real problem.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply