Counting Rows without Identity

• This is a situation that I'm faced with on a fairly regular basis: I need to have one of the fields in my query results contain a sequential count of the rows. I know (we all know) that I can do the following:

select

IDENTITY(int, 1, 1) as counter,

other.columns

into #temptable

from some.table

but I find having to use temp tables is often inconvenient for what I'm trying to do. The question is: Is there a way to count query result rows (say using a numbers table?) without using Identity and a temp table?

Steve G.

• Yes... there is another way using a triangular join... but it's horribly slow and relies on a unique or primary key and an order by...

To generate a running count in SQL Server 2000, the use of a Temp table is absolutely the fastest and most effective way to accomplish the task.

Here's the link to an article about triangular joins... if you really want to use it (which I think is the worst thing you could do), sub a "1" for the amount in the running balance calculation...

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/61539/

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• So, then the answer is: "You can do it but it's not worth it." I'll take that as the final word on this and go back to using temp tables. They may be a pain but they are fast. 😀

Thanks for the answer and the link!

Steve G.

• Correct... not worth it. And thanks for the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply