Could You Live Like a DBA?

• yeah! back ups and more back ups... that is the question!

• I could think of a few indexes that might be worth adding to the pantry. Though perhaps my wife would be happier if we continue with partitioning on the item_type flag rather than adding the overhead of index maintenance…

Also: Be sure to have all pantry searches be "Select top 1" without an order statement, especially if you leave it in a heap.

Puto me cogitare, ergo puto me esse.
    I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.

• Brilliant!! :laugh:

• jjeffryes (7/26/2013)

That was amusing. I expecially liked "Scans." Life is like that.

Of course you realize that it would be more efficient to build your pantry clustered index based on a categorization of items and have alphabetically as a secondary or tertiary sort item, so that you could more easily seek and possibly even do partition elimination. Otherwise you could end up looking for spaghetti sauce, which was actually entered by someone else as pasta sauce and be looking on the wrong shelf entirely.

As a side note, I remember way back when Altavista was a popular search engine it did have some rudimentary expressions it would recognize + and - as keywords to include and exclude from results, and you could put things in "double quotes" to force the search engine to recognize multiple words as one keyword. Most serach engines now seem to ignore those notations or even worse take the + and - as keywords instead of modifiers.

• This was a fun read! Thanks.

• Very nicely done.

• I really do think google would be easier if I could do this:

select * from closeby_restaurants where cuisine = 'chinese' and distance_from_home <= 2 miles and deliciousness = 'awesome' and service_time = 'quick'

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/26/2013)

I really do think google would be easier if I could do this:

select * from closeby_restaurants where cuisine = 'chinese' and distance_from_home <= 2 miles and deliciousness = 'awesome' and service_time = 'quick'

I would add

AND MSG = 0

• Revenant (7/26/2013)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2013)

I would add

AND MSG = 0

Good idea

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/26/2013)

open Google up to SQL injection... what could go wrong?

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Absolute pure gold!

Appreciated every word.

🙂

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• SQLRNNR (7/26/2013)

Revenant (7/26/2013)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2013)

I would add

AND MSG = 0

Good idea

Jason, shouldn't there be single quotes around the 2 miles? 😛

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (7/26/2013)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2013)

Revenant (7/26/2013)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2013)

I would add

AND MSG = 0

Good idea

Jason, shouldn't there be single quotes around the 2 miles? 😛

Maybe miles would be some sort of new keyword for Google SQL? Can't call it G-SQL since that apparently already exists for Gnome.

Excellent post Hakim, very entertaining!

• Well done. Greatly enjoyed this article.

• Great editorial.

Mind you a true DBA would to be too paranoid to go out at all. :ermm:

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply