Costly update trigger -70,000,000 logical reads for 30,000 rows updated!

• Marios Philippopoulos (2/1/2009)

I don't think it's the estimated exec plan, I obtained it from sys.dm_db_exec_requests. It was retrieved when the statement was actually executed...

It's the same as the 'estimated' plan.

Both the plans produced by the "Estimated Execution Plan" and the ones retrieved from the plan cache have only the compile-time information. That means just the estimated row counts, data sizes, etc. Neither will have the actual values, which are very important for any form of performance tuning. The actual values won't be available with the "Estimated Execution plan" and they're not stored in the plan cache.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (2/1/2009)

Marios Philippopoulos (2/1/2009)

I don't think it's the estimated exec plan, I obtained it from sys.dm_db_exec_requests. It was retrieved when the statement was actually executed...

Both the plans produced by the "Estimated Execution Plan" and the ones retrieved from the plan cache have only the compile-time information. That means just the estimated row counts, data sizes, etc. Neither will have the actual values, which are very important for any form of performance tuning. The actual values won't be available with the "Estimated Execution plan" and they're not stored in the plan cache.

But Marios should be able to get the Actual from Profiler or tracing, right?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Marios Philippopoulos (2/1/2009)

The SELECT query is for capturing the system info; has nothing to do with the trigger.

I know that... I'm suggesting that it's giving you bad information.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• RBarryYoung (2/1/2009)

Yes, absolutely. Providing he traces the correct event. I seem to recall there are about 6 events relating to the exec plan and I can't recall offhand which produces what. BoL should say.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (2/1/2009)

Marios Philippopoulos (2/1/2009)

Wow, that was something I didn't know, but makes sense the way you put it.

Not that I don't believe you, but can you post a link that mentions this?

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• GilaMonster (2/1/2009)

RBarryYoung (2/1/2009)

Yes, absolutely. Providing he traces the correct event. I seem to recall there are about 6 events relating to the exec plan and I can't recall offhand which produces what. BoL should say.

Looks like running a trace will get me what I'm looking for, ie. the actual exec plan.

I will do so and post my findings.

Thanks guys!

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]

• Marios Philippopoulos (2/2/2009)

I don't have one offhand (and I'm sitting at the airport), but it's easy to check. Open the exec plan, find any joi, seek or scan operator and look at the tooltips. If you see things like 'Actual rows', 'Actual IO cost', etc then it's an 'actual' plan with run-time information. If you don't then it's essentially an estimated plan.

Not on this exactly, but - http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2007/09/04/execution-plans-estimated-vs-actual/

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (2/2/2009)

Marios Philippopoulos (2/2/2009)

I don't have one offhand (and I'm sitting at the airport), but it's easy to check. Open the exec plan, find any joi, seek or scan operator and look at the tooltips. If you see things like 'Actual rows', 'Actual IO cost', etc then it's an 'actual' plan with run-time information. If you don't then it's essentially an estimated plan.

Not on this exactly, but - http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2007/09/04/execution-plans-estimated-vs-actual/

I just looked at the Index-seek operator that accounts for 86% of the total workload of the exec plan I posted (2nd post in this thread) and it only lists Estimated values.

I'm sold! 😉

I will set up the trace and post my findings.

• No need to check for UPDATE, DELETE or INSERT.

Trigger is designed for UPDATE.

Also, the trigger is nesting itself by updating the table for which the trigger ís triggering on...

Use this

CREATE TRIGGER[dbo].[TG_U_UpdTable]

ON[dbo].[UpdTable]

AFTERUPDATE

AS

IF UPDATE(db_updateDate) OR UPDATE(db_updateBy)

RETURN

UPDATEd

SETd.db_updateDate = GETDATE(),

d.db_updateBy = SYSTEM_USER

FROMdbo.UpdTable AS d

INNER JOINinserted AS i ON i.UpdTableOID = d.UpdTableOID

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• Peso (2/2/2009)

No need to check for UPDATE, DELETE or INSERT.

Trigger is designed for UPDATE.

Also, the trigger is nesting itself by updating the table for which the trigger ís triggering on...

Use this

CREATE TRIGGER[dbo].[TG_U_UpdTable]

ON[dbo].[UpdTable]

AFTERUPDATE

AS

RETURN

UPDATEd

SETd.db_updateDate = GETDATE(),

d.db_updateBy = SYSTEM_USER

FROMdbo.UpdTable AS d

INNER JOINinserted AS i ON i.UpdTableOID = d.UpdTableOID

Thanks for the suggestion, yes, the code that checks for type of DML is redundant.

Can you explain what the following does though, it's not clear to me:

RETURN

• The trigger is updating the same base table on where the trigger is resided.

So when the trigger updates the two columns, the same trigger is fired again!

And again.. And again...

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• Peso (2/2/2009)

The trigger is updating the same base table on where the trigger is resided.

So when the trigger updates the two columns, the same trigger is fired again!

And again.. And again...

Wow, would the trigger feed on itself that way? I hadn't thought of that...

How many iterations would that involve?

• Normally the SQL Server thinks 32 is the limit and stops execution with an error.

See Books Online for Nested Triggers and Recursive Triggers.

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• Marios Philippopoulos (2/2/2009)

That's only possible if recursive triggers are enabled. It's a database-level option and it's disabled by default.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (2/2/2009)

Marios Philippopoulos (2/2/2009)

That's only possible if recursive triggers are enabled. It's a database-level option and it's disabled by default.

I ran the following on the db in which the trigger resides and confirmed that recursive triggers is indeed turned off at the database level

EXEC sp_dboption 'myDB', 'recursive triggers'

However, the nested triggers setting is turned on at the server instance level. What is the difference between the 2 settings, apart from the scope in which they operate?

EXEC sp_configure 'nested triggers'

Returns:

config_value: 1

run_value: 1

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply