Copy Only - Security Policy

• Hi all,

I'm looking to create a policy that will stop any manual backups being performed, unless they are copy only. I haven't had much success so far. Does anybody know if this is possible? Is there a facet for this?

Cheers in advance

• If you accomplish this please share! 🙂

MCSE SQL Server 2012\2014\2016

• I don't believe it's possible. Even if there was a policy for it, policies are implemented by triggers and they're AFTER triggers and you can't roll a backup back.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sadly, I think your are probably right. I may have to try and come at it from a different angle.

• I also often have this need (e.g. when I'm running a differential backup scheme and don't want the 'chain' to be broken).

The closest I get to achieving this is to manually DENY BACKUP on each of the databases that are under the full/diff policy, then add an SP_BACKUP stored procedure to the master database that does the BACKUP WITH COPY_ONLY in dynamic SQL run with EXECUTE AS LOGIN='sa'.

(You may be able to hook CREATE_DATABASE with a DDL trigger to apply the DENY automatically -- I've never looked into it. I'd rather someone up high just yielded and gave us DENY BACKUP ANY DATABASE already!)

Then I educate the users (and re-educate, and re-educate again) to use that procedure instead of the BACKUP command/GUI.

Of course, I expect this only works because I have a very limited set of people who have any business performing out-of-band backups, anyway (e.g. the deployment team), and they have CONTROL SERVER (which gives them system-wide permission to impersonate SA, while honouring the DENY BACKUP).

That and I'm not trying to strictly enforce the denial, merely put up enough of a roadblock that the error reminds the deployment team that they must use a different approach, if they have absent-mindedly gone into 'next, next, next mode'.

(Let's not get into the semantics of whether a team that needs this kind of hand-holding should have that level of access to the server or not, or whether slipping into 'next, next, next' mode on a production server should be punishable by death!)

Of course, it may be sufficient to put such an SP_BACKUP procedure into the database in question (maybe in a dedicated support schema) and allow it to EXECUTE AS USER='dbo', rather than go the server-permissions route. I've not tried.

If it is, though, I expect you could hook CREATE_DATABASE to create your stored procedure and set your DENY permission. It really depends how often you spin up a new database as to whether or not it is worth your time.

HTH

J.

• Thanks J

I was thinking of going with a stored procedure as well, but I just know this is going to be hard sell. Problem I have is that mostly everybody uses copy only (we are constantly, as in a daily basis, backing up, lifting and shifting) and its really only the odd occasion that a non-copy only backup goes through. I know I will just be told, "but we always use copy-only anyway!"

I have an alert so, I can fix the backup chain with a new full, if it does happen. But its a hassle we could all do without!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

• If they're really doing that many copy only (presumably Full) backups, then why not switch everything to Full or Bulk-logged recovery model and tell them you can always use PITR recovery?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply