Cool products for Cloud?

• I am spending too much time with the same product over the last 10 years and I feel as the world is just passing me by. I want to see what other cool products out there that I should learn about. We are not talking about AWS or Azure: there are too many people who specialize the heck out of it. I am proficient in it, but I feel that I should focus on some third-party solutions that make people say:" wow, that's pretty convenient!". I would appreciate any ideas!

• Those three have approximately 2/3 of the market, and are mostly (ServiceNow at #3) the fastest growing.  The top eight have 82% of the market. If you're in/find an industry or area that for whatever reasons happens to much more heavily use a company other than the top three, especially if you have expertise or strong interest in the key technologies of one of the niche players, that could be a good strategy.

But in general, avoiding the biggest and fastest-growing segment of the market -- the ones most companies are using --  may not be a great career strategy. And the big providers work with almost any data/compute/storage/AI service you can think of. A niche company may once again mean you're confined to working with a small subset of the technology the bigger providers work with.

• Honestly, Azure or AWS is what I would suggest.

Are there third party things? Sure. Are they applicable to a broad enough swathe of the landscape that it's going to help make you more employable? Nah, not usually.

Instead, I'd pick aspects of the cloud, DevOps, Analysis, Code-driven architecture, data movement, and focus there.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• @inayarens ,

First, welcome aboard.

Understand that your reply looks like a "prelude to spam" that spammers regularly use to see if they successfully got a working account.  They also later come back a day or two later and add some spam.  If you're not a spammer then, like I said, welcome aboard.  If you are a spammer, your posts won't last long on this site and you should simply go away.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Great information from ratback.  I totally agree about staying within the larger segments as being a good strategy.

The chart I always come back to and track is db-engines.com.  It attempts to measure the overall industry footprint of different data management platforms.

https://db-engines.com/en/ranking_trend

In my opinion there are 2 big trends over the past 10 years.  First, the only real growth stories are Postgres and MongoDb.  Everything else is flat, shrinking, or pretty much irrelevant.  Second, the "NoSQL as a replacement for SQL" trend never happened.  The y-axis scale of the db-engines chart is log based.  The top 3 Oracle, MS SQL Server, and MySQL never wavered and keep tracking far, far ahead of the others

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply