converting to datetime data type

• year=2005

Month=5

day=27

time=9:30

I have these values with me and I wanted to convert this to a datetime field.

SELECT CAST(year AS varchar)+'-'+CAST(month AS varchar)+'-'+CAST(day AS varchar)+' '+CAST(time as varchar)+':'+'00'

FROM tab

I am trying to convert this into datetime by using the above quesry.

But I wanted to convert month 5 as as 05 and time 9:30 as 09:30.

And also If i get day as 2 I need to convert it to 02.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• select CONVERT ( datetime,getdate(),102 ) might do what you want:

2005-05-27 11:55:35.467

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• This may not achieve what you want, but I am guessing this is for display reasons. 

SELECT CONVERT( varchar, CONVERT( datetime, '1/1/2005 09:00:00 AM'), 101) + ' ' +  CONVERT( varchar, CONVERT( datetime, '1/1/2005 09:00:00 AM'), 108)

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• I tried that too Lowell, but my setting in Query Analyzer yielded:  5/27/2005 12:18:47 PM. 

That is why I suggested a more, (shall we say) convoluted answer. 

• This should give you a hint:

select Right('00' + cast(month(getdate()) as varchar),2)

----

• Farrell... there is a 2 steps solution... i think this will work fine... at least it worked with my configuration...

But I suggest that you take a look at BOL, under topic CAST & CONVERT... there is a table comparing the diferent kinds of convertions that you can perform using cast and covert functions.

declare @date datetime

SELECT 

@Date = convert(datetime, (year+'-'+month+'-'+day+' '+time+':00'), 102)

FROM YourTable

SELECT convert(varchar(20),@date,110)+' '+convert(varchar(20),@date,108)

Nicolas Donadio

Sr. Software Developer

DPS Automation

ARGENTINA

• Thanks Nicolas.  I understand those.  I misread the initial question and thought this was a date and not seperate fields for each part of a date.  That is why I suggested the concatenation using a specific date so the leading zero's would display.  ooops... 

• Another approach might be:

SELECT

CAST(

CAST(

(@year * 10000 +

@month * 100 +

@day)

AS CHAR(8))+' '+ @time

AS DATETIME)

Note, that this doesn't check for a valid date before trying to CAST to DATETIME. If you also need to do this, see if this helps: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/fk_datetime.asp

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply