Conversion Error When Using CASE Statement

• Hello All -

I feel like a dope here, but I need some help.  I have a case statement which is throwing a conversion error and i'm trying to figure this out.  All fields involved in the CASE are all numeric (int), I check them with the ISNUMERIC() function.  However, when run the following statement I get the corresponding error.  When I cast everything to VARCHAR(), the AGE >= THRESHOLD comparison doesn't work correctly.

any ideas?

SELECT CASE WHEN PROCSTATUS_NUM = 1 AND AGE >= THRESHOLD THEN 0 ELSE 4 END as Sort

ERROR:

Msg 245, Level 16, State 1, Line 11

Conversion failed when converting the ****** value '******' to data type ******.

• Maybe the obscured error message contains some clues

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• From the limited information you have provided in your question and the error message I would guess that column PROCSTATUS_NUM is not a numeric data type (maybe it's character?) and contains a value that cannot be converted to a number (maybe alphabetic  or punctuation?).

• Polymorphist wrote:

When I cast everything to VARCHAR(), the AGE >= THRESHOLD comparison doesn't work correctly.

you need to give us a bit more - but if you are casting everything to varchar then you will get isssues - for example you would expect 21 to come before 112 - but since it's a char then 112 comes first

at least give us the value types it is trying to convert from and to (in your error message). -i'm pretty sure that bigint, float, nvarchar etc are not confidential as part of a script

MVDBA

• Thanks for the replies.  I have to apologize, this query is from an OLTP system behind a very large healthcare application, it's very messy.  I essentially got lost inside the code and didn't realize that there was another field called THRESHOLD which had an IIF string formatted for use inside Excel, all I had to do was remove that.

I'm trying to move this code out of a VBScript file and into SSRS, and though I love the challenge, the code here is....ugh.  I'm gonna make it better, though, i'm gonna make it better....

Thanks for the responses 🙂

• ISNUMERIC() doesn't do what you think it does. I think you'd be surprised by what all SQL Server considers "numeric".

SELECT 
    cv.char_val,
    is_numeric = ISNUMERIC(cv.char_val),
    is_int = TRY_CONVERT(INT, cv.char_val),
    is_decimal = TRY_CONVERT(DECIMAL(9, 2), cv.char_val),
    is_float = TRY_CONVERT(FLOAT, cv.char_val)
    FROM
    ( VALUES ('12345'), ('12345.678'), ('$100.00'), ('12345.54321E54'), ('5E+4'), ('123,456,90.0'), ('123.456.78,12') ) cv (char_val);

• Jason A. Long wrote:

ISNUMERIC() doesn't do what you think it does. I think you'd be surprised by what all SQL Server considers "numeric".

SELECT 
    cv.char_val,
    is_numeric = ISNUMERIC(cv.char_val),
    is_int = TRY_CONVERT(INT, cv.char_val),
    is_decimal = TRY_CONVERT(DECIMAL(9, 2), cv.char_val),
    is_float = TRY_CONVERT(FLOAT, cv.char_val)
    FROM
    ( VALUES ('12345'), ('12345.678'), ('$100.00'), ('12345.54321E54'), ('5E+4'), ('123,456,90.0'), ('123.456.78,12') ) cv (char_val);

You should add the money data type to this - it shows that ISNUMERIC recognizes money formats and will convert those correctly.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• It'll also say that ',,,,,,,,,,,' is a valid numeric.  And the cool part about converting to MONEY during imports (if you don't need more than 4 decimal places) is that it will drop most of the "white space control characters" such as TAB, Cr, Lf, FF, Vt, and even "hard spaces" from after the number being converted.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

You should add the money data type to this - it shows that ISNUMERIC recognizes money formats and will convert those correctly.

I did. The 3rd value has a $...

• Jason A. Long wrote:

Jeffrey Williams wrote:

I did. The 3rd value has a $...

... and commas! 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• be careful with the money data type - Vietnamese Dong tend to overflow after a certain value. (i'm talking building a hospital costs, not buying a chocolate bar)

MVDBA

• You could try using TRY_CAST or TRY_CONVERT in your CASE but this will just hide the problem.

You're better to deal with the issue once then ignore it and deal with it constantly.

SELECT 
    CASE
    WHEN
    ISNULL(TRY_CONVERT(INT, PROCSTATUS_NUM),0) = 1
    AND ISNULL(TRY_CONVERT(INT, AGE),0) >= ISNULL(TRY_CONVERT(INT, THRESHOLD),0)
    THEN 0
    ELSE 4
    END AS Sort

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply