CONTAINS() function generates crash dump file

• Hi,

I'm seeing lots of crash dump files generated (SQL Server 2012) due to this error:
    Msg 596, Level 21, State 1, Line 0
    Cannot continue the execution because the session is in the kill state.
    Msg 0, Level 20, State 0, Line 0
    A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.
    If I run the Select statement that is in that  dump, I can reproduce the error in SSMS.  When I comment a CONTAINS() filter in the WHERE clause the query runs without issue.  And, when I run any query that uses the CONTAINS() function, a crash dump is generated.

How do I fix that CONTAINS() function? this is on a production server with many client databases and all databases are affected. I have a good system databases backup from a couple of days ago so would that reslove it?  Not sure where CONTAINS() lives in the system databases.

Thanks in advance.

• SALIM ALI - Monday, December 3, 2018 3:46 AM

Hi,

I'm seeing lots of crash dump files generated (SQL Server 2012) due to this error:
    Msg 596, Level 21, State 1, Line 0
    Cannot continue the execution because the session is in the kill state.
    Msg 0, Level 20, State 0, Line 0
    A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.
    If I run the Select statement that is in that  dump, I can reproduce the error in SSMS.  When I comment a CONTAINS() filter in the WHERE clause the query runs without issue.  And, when I run any query that uses the CONTAINS() function, a crash dump is generated.

How do I fix that CONTAINS() function? this is on a production server with many client databases and all databases are affected. I have a good system databases backup from a couple of days ago so would that reslove it?  Not sure where CONTAINS() lives in the system databases.

Thanks in advance.

My recommendation would be to call MS Support on this one.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Found the issue and fixed it.

It was a corrupt ResourceDB database.  It's not one I had a backup of.  I had another server at the same build and the sizes of the mssqlsystemresource.mdf and mssqlsystemresource.ldf files were identical. 
    I took backups of these, stopped MSSQLSERVER and then copied in the  good versions of the files and restarted the service.  Tested the queries that generated a dump and they worked as expected.

• SALIM ALI - Monday, December 3, 2018 6:01 AM

Found the issue and fixed it.

It was a corrupt ResourceDB database.  It's not one I had a backup of.  I had another server at the same build and the sizes of the mssqlsystemresource.mdf and mssqlsystemresource.ldf files were identical. 
    I took backups of these, stopped MSSQLSERVER and then copied in the  good versions of the files and restarted the service.  Tested the queries that generated a dump and they worked as expected.

Outstanding.  In that case, you should still call MS Support and tell them the easy fix you came up with, which seems to be much better than "reinstall SQL Server", which is what they probably would have told you. 😀

Your work isn't done yet, though... now you need to find out why the database was corrupt and whether or not you have a disk getting ready to fly south for the winter.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply