Contained Databases

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Contained Databases

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Nice straightforward question, thanks.

I could remember 3 of the four answers, but on the mirroring one I was racking my brains to no avail, and finally gave up and consulted BoL. The information seemed quite hard to find (for example, if I'd taken the first apparently relevant page I found in BoL, ALTER DATABASE Database Mirroring, at face value I would have got it horribly wrong. I ended up reading quite a bit. SO for me the question was a good learning experience.

Tom

• Nice simple question on SQL Server 2012 new features thank you.Got my point surprised only 27% got it so far.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

• Damn, got 3 out of the 4, I thought mirroring wouldn't of been true as it is now a depreciated feature so, wouldn't of thought the two would co-exist.

• Good Question.....

• Good question. I was in the same boat as Tom, was it replication or mirroring...

But I didn't check BOL ( 😀 ) took a punt on replication, oh well!

Rodders...

• anthony.green (7/26/2012)

Damn, got 3 out of the 4, I thought mirroring wouldn't of been true as it is now a depreciated feature so, wouldn't of thought the two would co-exist.

I also thought the same 🙂

But in the end changed my mind, thinking that what would be the use of contained DB, if it cannot be mirrored? Features like running environment reports from contained DBs and other stuff like delegating access control will be of no use without mirroring.

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question[/url]
    Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com[/url]

Follow me @Twitter

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Thank you for the great question. The answer on mirroring kinda threw me for a loop; I had it and then second guessed myself and got it wrong.

Everything is awesome!

• I was also stumped on the mirroring option. Did a quick lookup on msdn and found the alter database mirroring options are not available for contained databases. I guess I learned something new, but I'll have to read up on this some more. "How is it available, but it cannot be altered?" is the first question I need to answer for myself.. 😛

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522476.aspx

• Lokesh Vij (7/26/2012)

anthony.green (7/26/2012)

Damn, got 3 out of the 4, I thought mirroring wouldn't of been true as it is now a depreciated feature so, wouldn't of thought the two would co-exist.

I also thought the same 🙂

But in the end changed my mind, thinking that what would be the use of contained DB, if it cannot be mirrored? Features like running environment reports from contained DBs and other stuff like delegating access control will be of no use without mirroring.

Really? I got it wrong because I thought the exact opposite. As I understand contained DBs, they should be portable and independent of the main server, and be as much a single unit as they can. Therefore I would have thought that mirroring them would be sort of useless. So this is a question for learning the new stuff -- when would you want to have a contained database that is mirrored? I know a bit about how contained databases technically work, but I am not so much familiar with the business case for when and why to use them.

• Nice question, thanks

• Great question, thanks!

I was sure I had them all correct, I must've clicked on one of the wrong ones by mistake. :angry:

• L' Eomot Inversé (7/25/2012)

Nice straightforward question, thanks.

I could remember 3 of the four answers, but on the mirroring one I was racking my brains to no avail, and finally gave up and consulted BoL. The information seemed quite hard to find (for example, if I'd taken the first apparently relevant page I found in BoL, ALTER DATABASE Database Mirroring, at face value I would have got it horribly wrong. I ended up reading quite a bit. SO for me the question was a good learning experience.

+1

Made the same mistake .. oh well learned something new

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• very interesting question. definitely a learning experience here for me today - cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply