Connectivity issues on different domains

• Background:

I was the primary DBA for a division of a large company for 4 years. At this division we only had two network domains and they played very nice together. Now I have been promoted to a much larger division that has many, many domains and connectivity is driving me crazy. If anyone can help shed some light on this I would GREATLY appreciate it!

For example,

I log in to network domain A. A is supposed to be the main admin domain with all the needed access to all other domains.

We just created an 8 node cluster with 16 instances on domain B.

I can RDP into a machine on network B and use SSMS to manage the domain, but I just can't seem to connect from my own network, nor can I use Run As on SSMS and connect.

I CAN ping each of the virtual IPs from network A.

Here is what I have tried to connect VIA SSMS:

* Connecting via the virtual name using Windows Auth

* Connecting via the virtual name using Mixed Mode

* Connecting via the virtual IP using Windows Auth

* Cnnecting via the virtual IP using Mixed Mode

* Connecting via the virtual IP \ instance name via Windows Auth

* Connecting via the virtual IP \ instance name via Mixed Mode

* Starting SSMS using the Run As feature, running as my account on Network B, and retrying each of the above attempts.

This is driving me crazy and if at all possible I really want to be able to connect to all SQL Servers from my desktop.

If you have any suggestions or ideas on how I can troubleshoot this further PLEASE let me know.

• If you can ping the virtual IP and you are using the instance name it should be enough. What you could try is to connect to the IP address of the node where the cluster is running with the instance name. I have never been in your situation, so I am not sure it will help.

Good luck.

• Yeah - If you can ping the virtual SQL server by name, I would think you can connect via name. Other options are to connect via IP. If there are named instances, make sure that is entered as well. Also, you could make an alias in the SQL Server Configuration Manager. Let us know if these options work -

-- Cory

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply