Connecting to VPN Client

• We need to automatically initiate a VPN connection to access and download data from a remote server to our server. A DTS package is scheduled to run on our server that processes this data. Is there a way to initiate this connection from SQL prior to the execution of the package and terminate it once it completes. Is there anyway to schedule the initiation of a vpn connection ?

Thanks

• u need to provide 2 credentials for VPN which i don't think sql will recognise, unless there is any third party software for that purpose. VPN has pretty secure firewalls to go thro'.

• I have never seen VPN used for this. For the past several years at different job sites we have usually used FTP to transmit reports and or data files both to and from other sites. Have you looked into this possibility?

Sorry couldn't answer the VPN question.

John Campbell

• I actually haave used a command line dialer program called AutoDial.

I used it to connect & disconnect to /from internet within a DOS BATCH file.

see if it supports VPN connections.

if it does, make a bacth file

autodial /d --- dial

dtsrun .... --- ur dts

autodial /h --- hang up

-- Amit

"There is no 'patch' for stupidity."

Download the Updated SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

• Many routers have the capability of opening a scheduled WAN connection using a VPN. Check your router to see if it will do it.

• We have to use a VPN to connect to a remote system to download data, then upload it to a local server.

The VPN client software closes all other ports while connected, so none of the local servers can be seen (except for the database on the VPN client computer). The client software also requires the password to be entered manually for every connection. The steps required to complete this process required alternating between the remote system and a local server several times, and DTS did not seem to offer any way to do the logins.

We worked around this by writing a small Visual Basic program to connect and disconnect the VPN sofware, using SENDKEYS to enter the password. This program is invoked at appropriate points in the DTS package by Execute Process tasks.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

• It really depends on your VPN software. Ours has a cycled id value which is provided in only hardware format and DTS cannot utilize so we have to be involved. However your software could have command line, api for VB,VC or else, or some special interface so you need to check with the VPN vendor for best help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply