Connecting to SS2016 from Visual Studio 2015

• NOTE: Due to vendor requirements and not my own preferences I am using SSRS (rdlc type) via VS 2015

If I can on my workstation I connect my copy of SSMS (v18.6) to a cloud based instance of SQL Server 2016 using SQL Server authentication than on that same machine should I also be able to connect to that same cloud based SQL Server instance using the same authentication but from within Visual Studio 2015?

I'm working on an RDLC type of SSRS report and I'd like to preview the report within VS instead of having to edit it, save the changes to an external file and then copy that file to the vendors site and use the vendors proprietary software to then run the report and see the changes.

I'm not near as versed with VS as SSMS so I'm hoping this is doable and I've just missed some setting in VS.

In case its relevant, here is an example of the connection from SSMS ( the IP and names have of course been changed):

10.10.10.10\MYSQLSERVER_11_V,1433

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • I think that it should work just fine.  I have used most versions of VS from 2010 through 2019 to build reports for various versions of SSRS (2008 R2 through 2016).  Currently I am on VS 2017 building reports for SSRS 2016 without any issues.

Connecting to SQL server should be independent of the tool you use.  If you can connect via SSMS, you will be able to connect using the same method from VS.

Basically, you make either a new report or open an existing one and then you will need to create the data source to connect to the SQL instance.  Visual Studio has good helper windows to build the connection string or there are a LOT of websites out there to help you build up the connection string.

You will need to install the proper addon tools to build SSRS reports in VS, but this applies to any version of VS, not just 2015.  The method is just a bit different depending on the version.  2017 and newer have it in the new updater tool.  Older versions need to download SSDT (if I remember right).

Things I personally haven't done:

Connect from VS to a CLOUD based SQL instance (such as Azure), but I've connected from my local machine to another machine without incident.

Connected from VS to a SQL instance using SSL, but I can't see why this wouldn't work with the proper connection string.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• UPDATE:

I was able to successfully connect today from with VS2015. I selected (from the Menu) Tools>>Add SQL Server and it let me add and connect to this SQL Server I was asking about. The SQL Server is accessed over a tunnel we have with the vendor so I have to use the IP adress but whatever was preventing it from working when I last tried this in VS2015 is not preventing it now. I've not yet tried to run or preview an RDLC style SSRS repore in VS2015 yet that uses a DB on this SQL Server but I'm assuming I should be able to.

One thing to note that is different this time is that I added and connected to the SQL Server without loading an SSRS report and trying to do it from within that project. Perhaps there is some quirk with VS or at least VS2015 that you need to do the connection (at least initially) outside of a project when your trying to get to the SQL Server via IP address and port. Maybe not but its the one thing that is different this time then when I previously tried to do this and I have seen stranger things with software than this.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply