Connecting to Remote SQL Server

• Hi,

I have a SQL Server running on a network which I want  to use from my  PC at home. The home PC is is not on the network where the SQL Server is but I have access to another PC on the same  network as the one which has SQL Server. PC1 and PC2  share a network (10.x.x.x) and PC1 has a public IP .

HOME PC->        PC1 <--> PC2

I can connect to PC1( through the public IP)  which in turn can talk to PC2.  Both PC1 and PC2 have SQL Server installed on them and I used enterprise manager to connect to the SQL server on PC2  from PC1. This Sql server shows up in the enterprise manager as 10.10.100.x .

My question is how to connect to this sql server from my PC at home. As the sql server (10.10.100.x) is not the default on PC1   my local enterprise manager (on Home PC) does not seem to to recognise it.  I can connetc tot eh default sql server on PC1 from my home without any problems..

Any help will be appriciated

• From home can you ping the SQL Server? If so then you can register via the IP address with port if its not 1433. If you need name resolution use local LMHosts file.

• The problem is that the sql  server that I want to connect to  is just registered  on PC1 . The actual server is running on PC2 so I don't have any port that I can connect to . I just have a name  of the regestered sql server (   called 10.10.100.x ).

• Do y0u have a VPN connection from home to work?

-Isaiah

• Hi,

I think you need PROXY. As you said that PC2 has SQL Server (TCP Port : 1433) and PC1 has connectivity with PC2 and your home machine. In this case all you need to do is setup proxy on PC1 such that when your home machine connects to PC1 the call is forwarded to PC2 and same way the reply.

Also there is some winproxy configuration option in "Server Network Utility" (a tool that is bundled with SQL Server)

Third option is that you Setup "SQL XML Support on IIS" on PC1 and configure it to connect to PC2. However, this will not be a normal way of communicating to SQL Server.

Hope this helps you.

Viraj Patel

• "Also there is some winproxy configuration option in "Server Network Utility" (a tool that is bundled with SQL Server)" --> This looks promising.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply