Connect Problem for One DB on Server

• I have a developer who is trying to connect to a DB on the dev server. He is using a SQL account, and ASP.Net, with the .Net Framework 1.1. I copied the DB from another server, but the SIDs are correct as I have duplicated them from the other server.

This user ID can connect to the server, but not the database he wants to. The user ID can connect to other DBs on the same server, after I gave it rights in those DBs. I have removed the user from the problem DB, verified that it no longer showed up in the sys.sysusers table, then added it back in, verifying that the SID matches the SID used in databases this ID can successfully connect to.

Using Query Analyzer (or the closest thing I can, New>Database Engine Query from SSMS) I can login as that user ID and access the problem database. I have done this from my workstation and from the developer's workstation, but his .Net app will not connect to it. His .Net app WILL connect to the production version of this DB, using the same credentials. And yes, same SID on Prod and Dev servers.

I am running out of ideas.

Thanks,

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

• Can you post the connection string the app is using (changing sensitive information of course)?

Is there an error message being returned? If, so what is it?

Have you tried running profiler and then connecting using the application to see what SQL Server is actually getting? I'd do these events:

Errors and Warnings

Exception

User Error Message

Security Audit

Audit Login

Audit Logout

Sessions

ExistingConnection - the TextData column shows you the setting of the connections

Stored Procedures

RPC:Completed

RPC:Starting

SP:Completed

SP:Starting

TSQL

SQL:BatchCompleted

SQL:BatchStarting

Then I'd filter by LoginName.

Profiling may or may not help, but it can eliminate some things.

• Connection string. Dunno why I forgot that the first time.

data source=MGCAPSQL01\Develop;initial catalog=CBOCDiscrepancyReport;integrated security=false;persist security info=False;user id=cbodr;password=******;workstation id=MGBG1086;packet size=4096

I will work on getting a Profiler trace now.

Thanks,

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

• Turned out to be an oops on my part. It was a misspeling in the DB name and my eyes ain't what they used to be. The third time I checked that possibility I actually saw it.

Can you make the font larger in SSMS?

Thanks,

Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply