Connect for reporting services

• Howdy folks...

Still a fair bit green when it comes to 2k5... I'm trying to do the reporting services tutorial. When I try to build the AdventureWorks dataset according to the tutorial, I get the following error...

I've been in BOL and just can't find it... not sure what to look for. How can I fix this problem, please? I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the "additional information" in the error message... I've not setup SQL Server 2005 before and I don't know how to allow the "remote logins" the error is talking about.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I found this on Google:

http://littletalk.wordpress.com/2008/03/21/an-error-has-occurred-while-establishing-a-connection-to-the-server-when-connecting-to-sql-server-2005-this-failure-may-be-caused-by-the-fact-that-under-the-default-settings-sql-server-does-not-all/

I did the whole thing including the Firewall exceptions for MSSQL.1... I notice that I also have an MSSQL.2 and MSSQL.3... do I have to do all of those? I only have one instance of 2k5 installed.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• It appears that I've got it... found the wonder "connection window" that allowed me to select the connection instead of typing the bloody connection information. The tutorial says to use the following...

Data source=(local); initial catalog=AdventureWorks

That's wrong... especially if you have a named instance like I do. I had to use the following (I changed my instance name below... kinda like a PW to me) 😛

Data Source=JMOD\2K5;Initial Catalog=AdventureWorks

I think I'm all set.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Now... I DO have a question! Did I have to do all of that? I mean the part about making an exception in the XP firewall and all? Or did I just need to get the bloody connection information right? :blink:

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I have never had to do anything with the firewall, so I think the answer is no.

Reporting Services and Integration Services both have this same problem. In the tutorials and in the default configuration files they use "." or "(local)" for their connections. This causes a problem with named instances and also with cluster configurations.

• Michael Earl (5/19/2008)

I have never had to do anything with the firewall, so I think the answer is no.

Thanks, Michael... when I get a chance, I'll undo the exceptions I've made in the Windows FireWall and let you know what happens.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Nope, you definitely don't have to mess with the firewall. I have set this up on many dev workstations and never touched it.

The problem you ran in to was the use of the instance as your database and not including the instance reference in the Data Source. Not all of microsoft's documents have put in the verbage to warn you about how to reference database instances.

The connection string for SSRS is the same as any other ADO connection string.

Happy Reporting!

Bill

• I read the part about the firewall exception as needed if this dev workstation was going to be the "SQL back-end" to a remote SSRS install. So - no I wouldn't think you'd need those since it sounds like you're doing the default "everything on this box" install.

Of course - I always turn off the Windows Firewall on XP (I use a third-party one), so I wouldn't be incredibly surprised by anything it does....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply