Conditional Aggregation

• The first part finds all of the records that we want to aggregate and joins them to the previous record and next record. Having all three records in a row allows us to build the weighted averages that will become the new record.

The second part joins the orignal data to a subquery of the records we are going to aggregate and excludes them giving us the records we are not aggregating.

we union those together so we can get all of the records. I'm really bad about commenting my code while I'm working on it but once I get it put together I will go back and comment.

• For welnum4 seq 19 I'm having an issue where it is aggregating with seq 17 and 18 and also with seq 20 and 21 simultaneously. I haven't figure out how to make that work without doing row by row processing.

• I had gotten this far;

SELECT

CUR.HoleId

,CUR.EvalNum

,PREV.TopDepth

,NEX.BaseDepth

,CAST((((PREV.MBit * PREV.Length) + (CUR.MBit * CUR.Length) + (NEX.MBit * NEX.Length)) / (PREV.Length + CUR.Length + NEX.Length)) AS NUMERIC(3,2)) AS MBit

,CAST((((PREV.PHIE * PREV.Length) + (CUR.PHIE * CUR.Length) + (NEX.PHIE * NEX.Length)) / (PREV.Length + CUR.Length + NEX.Length)) AS NUMERIC(3,2)) AS PHIE

,CAST((((PREV.SwE * PREV.Length) + (CUR.SwE * CUR.Length) + (NEX.SwE * NEX.Length)) / (PREV.Length + CUR.Length + NEX.Length)) AS NUMERIC(3,2)) AS SwE

,CAST((((PREV.Vsh * PREV.Length) + (CUR.Vsh * CUR.Length) + (NEX.Vsh * NEX.Length)) / (PREV.Length + CUR.Length + NEX.Length)) AS NUMERIC(3,2)) AS Vsh

,PREV.Length + CUR.Length + NEX.Length AS Length

,'Y' AS OreFlag

FROM ##Aggregated_Intervals CUR

LEFT JOIN ##Aggregated_Intervals PREV

ON PREV.HoleId = CUR.HoleId

AND PREV.EvalNum = CUR.EvalNum

AND PREV.Seq = CUR.Seq - 1

LEFT JOIN ##Aggregated_Intervals NEX

ON NEX.HoleId = CUR.HoleId

AND NEX.EvalNum = CUR.EvalNum

AND NEX.Seq = CUR.Seq + 1

WHERE

CUR.OreFlag = 'N'

AND CUR.LENGTH <= 1

AND CUR.LENGTH <= PREV.LENGTH

AND CUR.LENGTH <= NEX.LENGTH

AND (((PREV.MBit * PREV.Length) + (CUR.MBit * CUR.Length) + (NEX.MBit * NEX.Length)) / (PREV.Length + CUR.Length + NEX.Length)) >= 0.06

One of the things that I discovered was that there may be situations where consecutive "sets of three" records may pass the conditions. In this situation they would share a common "Y" record which would create overlapping intervals and throw off the correct calculation of thickness/length weighted averages. I can't presently think of a solution for this.

• Lol!

We've tumbled to the same problem at almost the same instant!

• Here is a fix but it will add iterations since we will work with the first set from each wellnum at a time.

select holeid,evalnum,basedepth,topdepth,mbit,phie,swe,vsh,length,oreflag from (

select

a.holeid,a.evalnum,c.seq

/*a.seq,a.topdepth,a.basedepth,a.mbit,a.phie,a.swe,a.vsh,a.length,a.oreflag,b.seq prec,c.seq nrec,a.mbit*a.length wambit,a.phie*a.length waphie,a.vsh*a.length wavsh,a.swe*a.length waswe*/

,case when case when a.basedepth > b.basedepth then a.basedepth else b.basedepth end > c.basedepth then case when a.basedepth > b.basedepth then a.basedepth else b.basedepth end else c.basedepth end basedepth

,case when case when a.topdepth < b.topdepth then a.topdepth else b.topdepth end < c.topdepth then case when a.topdepth < b.topdepth then a.topdepth else b.topdepth end else c.topdepth end topdepth

,((a.mbit*a.length) +(b.mbit*b.length) + (c.mbit*c.length)) /(a.length+b.length + c.length) mbit

,((a.phie*a.length) +(b.phie*b.length) + (c.phie*c.length)) /(a.length+b.length + c.length) phie

,((a.swe*a.length) +(b.swe*b.length) + (c.swe*c.length)) /(a.length+b.length + c.length) swe

,((a.vsh*a.length) +(b.vsh*b.length) + (c.vsh*c.length)) /(a.length+b.length + c.length) vsh

, (a.length+b.length + c.length) length

,case when ((a.mbit*a.length) +(b.mbit*b.length) + (c.mbit*c.length)) /(a.length+b.length + c.length) > .06 then 'Y' else 'N' end oreflag

from wells a

join wells b on a.evalnum = b.evalnum and a.holeid=b.holeid and a.seq = b.seq -1 and b.oreflag = 'y'

join wells c on a.evalnum = c.evalnum and a.holeid=c.holeid and a.seq = c.seq +1 and c.oreflag = 'y'

join -- only get first set to be aggregated

(select a.holeid,a.evalnum,min(a.seq) seq from wells a

join wells b on a.evalnum = b.evalnum and a.holeid=b.holeid and a.seq = b.seq -1 and b.oreflag = 'y'

join wells c on a.evalnum = c.evalnum and a.holeid=c.holeid and a.seq = c.seq +1 and c.oreflag = 'y'

where a.oreflag = 'n' and a.length < 1 and a.length < b.length and a.length < c.length

group by a.holeid,a.evalnum) fs on fs.seq = a.seq

where a.oreflag = 'n' and a.length < 1 and a.length < b.length and a.length < c.length

union

select

holeid,evalnum,wells.seq,basedepth,topdepth,mbit,phie,swe,vsh,length,oreflag

from wells

left join

(select a.seq seq1,b.seq pseq,c.seq nseq

from wells a

join-- only get first set to be aggregated

where a.oreflag = 'n' and a.length < 1and a.length < b.length and a.length < c.length

) aggs on wells.seq = aggs.seq1 or wells.seq = aggs.pseq or wells.seq = aggs.nseq

where aggs.seq1 is null

) n

order by seq asc

• Ok, so I ended up with building 3 identical tables.

wells holds the initial data you provided

wellsa gets the first aggregate set

wellsb gets the aggregated set from wellsa

I bounce back and forth from wellsa to wellsb until I ended up with a matching number of rows between the 2 which was 895 from the test data.

--takes data from wells and aggregates into wellsa

truncate table wellsa

insert into wellsa (holeid,evalnum,basedepth,topdepth,mbit,phie,swe,vsh,length,oreflag)

select holeid,evalnum,basedepth,topdepth,mbit,phie,swe,vsh,length,oreflag from (

select

a.holeid,a.evalnum,c.seq

/*a.seq,a.topdepth,a.basedepth,a.mbit,a.phie,a.swe,a.vsh,a.length,a.oreflag,b.seq prec,c.seq nrec,a.mbit*a.length wambit,a.phie*a.length waphie,a.vsh*a.length wavsh,a.swe*a.length waswe*/

,case when case when a.basedepth > b.basedepth then a.basedepth else b.basedepth end > c.basedepth then case when a.basedepth > b.basedepth then a.basedepth else b.basedepth end else c.basedepth end basedepth

,case when case when a.topdepth < b.topdepth then a.topdepth else b.topdepth end < c.topdepth then case when a.topdepth < b.topdepth then a.topdepth else b.topdepth end else c.topdepth end topdepth

,((a.mbit*a.length) +(b.mbit*b.length) + (c.mbit*c.length)) /(a.length+b.length + c.length) mbit

,((a.phie*a.length) +(b.phie*b.length) + (c.phie*c.length)) /(a.length+b.length + c.length) phie

,((a.swe*a.length) +(b.swe*b.length) + (c.swe*c.length)) /(a.length+b.length + c.length) swe

,((a.vsh*a.length) +(b.vsh*b.length) + (c.vsh*c.length)) /(a.length+b.length + c.length) vsh

,case when ((a.mbit*a.length) +(b.mbit*b.length) + (c.mbit*c.length)) /(a.length+b.length + c.length) > .06 then 'Y' else 'N' end oreflag

from wells a

join

union

select

holeid,evalnum,wells.seq,basedepth,topdepth,mbit,phie,swe,vsh,length,oreflag

from wells

left join

from wells a

join

where a.oreflag = 'n' and a.length < 1and a.length < b.length and a.length < c.length

) aggs on wells.seq = aggs.seq1 or wells.seq = aggs.pseq or wells.seq = aggs.nseq

where aggs.seq1 is null

) n

order by seq asc

--takes data from wellsa and aggregates into wellsb

truncate table wellsb

insert into wellsb (holeid,evalnum,basedepth,topdepth,mbit,phie,swe,vsh,length,oreflag)

select

a.holeid,a.evalnum,c.seq

from wellsa a

join wellsa b on a.evalnum = b.evalnum and a.holeid=b.holeid and a.seq = b.seq -1 and b.oreflag = 'y'

join wellsa c on a.evalnum = c.evalnum and a.holeid=c.holeid and a.seq = c.seq +1 and c.oreflag = 'y'

join

(select a.holeid,a.evalnum,min(a.seq) seq from wellsa a

join wellsa b on a.evalnum = b.evalnum and a.holeid=b.holeid and a.seq = b.seq -1 and b.oreflag = 'y'

join wellsa c on a.evalnum = c.evalnum and a.holeid=c.holeid and a.seq = c.seq +1 and c.oreflag = 'y'

union

select

holeid,evalnum,wellsa.seq,basedepth,topdepth,mbit,phie,swe,vsh,length,oreflag

from wellsa

left join

from wellsa a

join

(select a.holeid,a.evalnum,min(a.seq) seq from wellsa a

) aggs on wellsa.seq = aggs.seq1 or wellsa.seq = aggs.pseq or wellsa.seq = aggs.nseq

where aggs.seq1 is null

) n

order by seq asc

--takes data from wellsb and aggregates into wellsa

truncate table wellsa

insert into wellsa (holeid,evalnum,basedepth,topdepth,mbit,phie,swe,vsh,length,oreflag)

select

a.holeid,a.evalnum,c.seq

from wellsb a

join wellsb b on a.evalnum = b.evalnum and a.holeid=b.holeid and a.seq = b.seq -1 and b.oreflag = 'y'

join wellsb c on a.evalnum = c.evalnum and a.holeid=c.holeid and a.seq = c.seq +1 and c.oreflag = 'y'

join

(select a.holeid,a.evalnum,min(a.seq) seq from wellsb a

join wellsb b on a.evalnum = b.evalnum and a.holeid=b.holeid and a.seq = b.seq -1 and b.oreflag = 'y'

join wellsb c on a.evalnum = c.evalnum and a.holeid=c.holeid and a.seq = c.seq +1 and c.oreflag = 'y'

union

select

holeid,evalnum,wellsb.seq,basedepth,topdepth,mbit,phie,swe,vsh,length,oreflag

from wellsb

left join

from wellsb a

join

(select a.holeid,a.evalnum,min(a.seq) seq from wellsb a

) aggs on wellsb.seq = aggs.seq1 or wellsb.seq = aggs.pseq or wellsb.seq = aggs.nseq

where aggs.seq1 is null

) n

order by seq asc

I think we can convert these into stored procs and make them loop until the record count matches but first I want to load your dull data and see how long it takes.

• You have some Nulls in your data. Should they be set to zero?

• Yes. in this instance null is effectively zero.

• Your data came across as unicode and only 65K rows. Looks like it was save from excel maybe?

The first iteration took 10 minutes

• I'm not sure what I did but I think I managed to upload a version of the csv which I'd looked at in Excel and then saved.

I'm having trouble uploading the file (again). I think it has something to do with the size. It's 7,807kb zipped. There's 366,590 rows! It looks like it's uploading (for about 2-3 minutes) and then it gives me the "page can not be displayed" screen.

My first round of aggregation takes me from 9,401,166 rows down to 366,590 in about 17 minutes.

I think that if it's taking 10 minutes to process 65k rows that maybe this solution isn't going to work for as much data as I have.

Maybe this is one of those rare cases where a cursor based approach will outperform a set based approach.

• It's weird because the file I have is 7MB but only the 65K rows and I can't open it in a text editor because it is unicode.

10 minutes is on my little SQL7 server with 512MB of Memory and 2 300mhz processors. Might also need to look at the indexes as I am getting a few seeks but mostly scans. I'm suprised no one else has jumped in on this topic as there are a number of people better at this than I am that may come up with something different.

10 minutes was also the first run at it, the second pass was 7, and I''m running a full loop now.

• The upload thing is kind of vexing. I figured out how to get around the unicode thing (Management studio just assumes everyone want's to export everything in unicode and makes it unintuitive to change the coding scheme) - in unicode, the entire file, unzipped was 56Mb! In ASCII (I'm presuming) it's down to 28Mb and then zipping it takes it down to 7+Mb but I'm still having problems getting it uploaded.

I'm going to try to cut the file in two and see if that will work.

Just want to say again how much I appreciate your efforts on this!

• The whole thing took 29 passes over 55 minutes for the 65K rows. I'll start looking at the performance peice of it. The first 2 passes took a while but the rest were only a minute or 2. The problem is that we are working small sets each time which makes this act like a cursor or RBAR.

Iteration 1 : Apr 22 2008 1:26PM

(60917 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 60917

wellsb rowcount = 57989

Iteration 2 : Apr 22 2008 1:37PM

(57989 row(s) affected)

Iteration 3 : Apr 22 2008 1:44PM

(56083 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 56083

wellsb rowcount = 57989

Iteration 4 : Apr 22 2008 1:48PM

(54785 row(s) affected)

Iteration 5 : Apr 22 2008 1:51PM

(53811 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 53811

wellsb rowcount = 54785

Iteration 6 : Apr 22 2008 1:53PM

(53053 row(s) affected)

Iteration 7 : Apr 22 2008 1:55PM

(52429 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 52429

wellsb rowcount = 53053

Iteration 8 : Apr 22 2008 1:57PM

(51935 row(s) affected)

Iteration 9 : Apr 22 2008 1:58PM

(51511 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 51511

wellsb rowcount = 51935

Iteration 10 : Apr 22 2008 1:59PM

(51183 row(s) affected)

Iteration 11 : Apr 22 2008 2:01PM

(50931 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 50931

wellsb rowcount = 51183

Iteration 12 : Apr 22 2008 2:02PM

(50721 row(s) affected)

Iteration 13 : Apr 22 2008 2:04PM

(50565 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 50565

wellsb rowcount = 50721

Iteration 14 : Apr 22 2008 2:05PM

(50443 row(s) affected)

Iteration 15 : Apr 22 2008 2:06PM

(50359 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 50359

wellsb rowcount = 50443

Iteration 16 : Apr 22 2008 2:07PM

(50299 row(s) affected)

Iteration 17 : Apr 22 2008 2:07PM

(50245 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 50245

wellsb rowcount = 50299

Iteration 18 : Apr 22 2008 2:08PM

(50197 row(s) affected)

Iteration 19 : Apr 22 2008 2:08PM

(50161 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 50161

wellsb rowcount = 50197

Iteration 20 : Apr 22 2008 2:09PM

(50133 row(s) affected)

Iteration 21 : Apr 22 2008 2:09PM

(50115 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 50115

wellsb rowcount = 50133

Iteration 22 : Apr 22 2008 2:10PM

(50103 row(s) affected)

Iteration 23 : Apr 22 2008 2:11PM

(50093 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 50093

wellsb rowcount = 50103

Iteration 24 : Apr 22 2008 2:11PM

(50089 row(s) affected)

Iteration 25 : Apr 22 2008 2:12PM

(50085 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 50085

wellsb rowcount = 50089

Iteration 26 : Apr 22 2008 2:12PM

(50081 row(s) affected)

Iteration 27 : Apr 22 2008 2:13PM

(50079 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 50079

wellsb rowcount = 50081

Iteration 28 : Apr 22 2008 2:14PM

(50079 row(s) affected)

Iteration 29 : Apr 22 2008 2:15PM

(50079 row(s) affected)

wellsa rowcount = 50079

wellsb rowcount = 50079

• I resurected some old cursor-based code which I've used in the past and modified it for this process. It's terribly slow but maybe it contains the kernel of an idea. Sorry about the messed up tabs.

In short - what it does is;

- Creates a cursor of the "N" records which we know will need to be aggregated

- walks the table using the cursor, updating the first record of the three involved and deleting the 2nd and 3rd ones

I'm sure that the reason it's so slow is that I'm doing all of those selects with every update. If I could figure out how to get all of the information in one go I think I might have a solution that's workable.

IF OBJECT_ID(N'TEMPDB..[##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS]',N'U') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE [##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS]

SELECT

INTO ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS

FROM

##Aggregated_Intervals

CREATE UNIQUE CLUSTERED INDEX ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS_PK ON ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS(HoleID, EvalNum, Seq)

DECLARE ASSEMBLY_CSR CURSOR FOR

SELECT

CUR.HoleId

,CUR.EvalNum

,CUR.Seq

,CUR.Length

,CUR.MBit

FROM ##Assembled_Intervals CUR

LEFT JOIN ##Assembled_Intervals PREV

ON PREV.HoleId = CUR.HoleId

AND PREV.EvalNum = CUR.EvalNum

AND PREV.Seq = CUR.Seq - 1

LEFT JOIN ##Assembled_Intervals NEX

ON NEX.HoleId = CUR.HoleId

AND NEX.EvalNum = CUR.EvalNum

AND NEX.Seq = CUR.Seq + 1

WHERE

CUR.OreFlag = 'N'

AND CUR.LENGTH <= 1

AND CUR.LENGTH <= PREV.LENGTH

AND CUR.LENGTH <= NEX.LENGTH

AND (((PREV.MBit * PREV.Length) + (CUR.MBit * CUR.Length) + (NEX.MBit * NEX.Length)) / (PREV.Length + CUR.Length + NEX.Length)) >= 0.06

ORDER BY

CUR.HoleId

,CUR.EvalNum

,CUR.MBit DESC

,CUR.Length ASC

OPEN ASSEMBLY_CSR

DECLARE

@PREV_Seq INT,

@CUR_Seq INT,

@NEX_Seq INT,

@CUR_HoleId VARCHAR(13),

@CUR_EvalNum FLOAT,

@CUR_Length FLOAT,

@CUR_MBit FLOAT,

@Combined_Length FLOAT

FETCH FROM ASSEMBLY_CSR

INTO

@CUR_HoleId,

@CUR_EvalNum,

@CUR_Seq,

@CUR_Length,

@CUR_MBit

SET @PREV_Seq = (SELECT MAX(Seq) FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq < @CUR_Seq AND HOLEID = @CUR_HOLEID AND EvalNum = @CUR_EvalNum)

SET @NEX_Seq = (SELECT MIN(Seq) FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq > @CUR_Seq AND HOLEID = @CUR_HOLEID AND EvalNum = @CUR_EvalNum)

SET @Combined_Length= (SELECT SUM(LENGTH) FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq BETWEEN @PREV_Seq AND @NEX_Seq)

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

UPDATE ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS

SETBaseDepth = (SELECT BaseDepth FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @NEX_Seq),

Length = @Combined_Length,

MBit= ((SELECT MBit * LENGTH FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @PREV_Seq) + (SELECT MBit * LENGTH FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @CUR_Seq) + (SELECT MBit * LENGTH FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @NEX_Seq)) / @Combined_Length,

PHIE= ((SELECT PHIE * LENGTH FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @PREV_Seq) + (SELECT PHIE * LENGTH FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @CUR_Seq) + (SELECT PHIE * LENGTH FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @NEX_Seq)) / @Combined_Length,

SwE = ((SELECT SwE * LENGTH FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @PREV_Seq) + (SELECT SwE * LENGTH FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @CUR_Seq) + (SELECT SwE * LENGTH FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @NEX_Seq)) / @Combined_Length,

Vsh = ((SELECT Vsh * LENGTH FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @PREV_Seq) + (SELECT Vsh * LENGTH FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @CUR_Seq) + (SELECT Vsh * LENGTH FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq = @NEX_Seq)) / @Combined_Length,

OreFlag = 'Y'

WHERE Seq = @PREV_Seq

DELETE FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq IN (@CUR_Seq, @NEX_Seq)

FETCH FROM ASSEMBLY_CSR

INTO

@CUR_HoleId,

@CUR_EvalNum,

@CUR_Seq,

@CUR_Length,

@CUR_MBit

SET @PREV_Seq = (SELECT MAX(Seq) FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq < @CUR_Seq AND HOLEID = @CUR_HOLEID AND EvalNum = @CUR_EvalNum)

SET @NEX_Seq = (SELECT MIN(Seq) FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq > @CUR_Seq AND HOLEID = @CUR_HOLEID AND EvalNum = @CUR_EvalNum)

SET @Combined_Length= (SELECT SUM(LENGTH) FROM ##ASSEMBLED_INTERVALS WHERE Seq BETWEEN @PREV_Seq AND @NEX_Seq)

END

CLOSE ASSEMBLY_CSR

DEALLOCATE ASSEMBLY_CSR

• I am getting ready to leave for the day but I will take a look at this tomorrow. I have been playing with the indexes and can't seem to get a faster initial run. I would like to get the full data set to see how much more time the additional rows will add.

When you say the cursor is slow, how long does it take to complete?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply