communication Link failure

• After managing to install a new helpdesk system onto our server I keep getting an error message "communication Link Failure".

I have looked at the server but cannot identify what the cause could be.

does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Cheers

• A little detail please. Which server is this? What type of connection is it using (OLE,ODBC,etc.)? And what protocol is being used (name pipes, tcpip, etc.)? Just one note on the last I say a post on another site that suggested use TCP/IP if you are using named pipes.

• The connection is an ODBC and the only server protocol is TCIP/IP using SQL Server 2000.

Cheers

Cheers

• Let's start with making sure SQL Server was able to bind to the right port.

SQL Server listens by default on port 1433. When you run a:

netstat -an

do you see port 1433 bound to TCP? If you've made changes to the standard port via the Server Network Utility, look for the appropriate port. If you don't see it, check the event log to see if you have an error saying SQL Server couldn't bind to the port. If that's the case, stopping and restarting the system can usually solve this issue.

Also, on a related note, what ports does your helpdesk system use (I'm assuming it listens on a TCP port as well)?

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• The SQL Server is on 1433. The helpdesk is on TCP.

Thanks

Cheers

Cheers

• And the problems didn't start occuring until after the help desk software was installed? What help desk software?

K. Brian Kelley

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• The Helpdesk software is frontrange Heat system. It can be used on several dbms. It is also the only system that gets affected. I am thinking that it is something with software but being new to SQL Server couldn't be 100% sure so thought I'd better investigate.

Cheers

Cheers

• Can you connect via client tools for SQL from a workstation? from the server? what about and ODBC connection from a workstation?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I haven't had any problems connecting to the database through Access. Just the Heat front-end.

Cheers

Cheers

• If you can connect from Access, then it sounds like the connection from the help desk software isn't defined correctly. You said you are making an ODBC connection and the only server protocol os TCP/IP. When you set up the ODBC connection for the help desk software, did you set it up to use TCP/IP? For instance:

and

Just verifying.

K. Brian Kelley

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• The ODBC client config will only accept TCP\IP anyway.

Cheers

Cheers

• Does the software connect via SQL Auth or Windows Auth? Can you run profiler and see if a connection is getting to the server?

Are you sure (just checking) you are connecting to the right server? How is the help desk software connecting? TCP is a protocol. Are you using sockets? In SQL 2000, named pipes can run over TCIP/IP.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• The software connects using SQL Authentication. Have run profiler and the connection is definately there.

I have just read my initial post and missed avital part out. The software connects but after a while the communication link error occurs.

Cheers

Cheers

• It sounds like something is interrupting the session causing the connection to drop. Your application, thinking there's still a connection, goes to talk, and finds this isn't the case. When you say after a while, what is the approximate duration before failure?

K. Brian Kelley

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• We have estimated the time to be about 30mins.

Cheers

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply