Common questions asked in SQL Server DBA Interview

• Abbi: Not a good idea to post your e-mail address openly on web pages. Spammers use bots to scan for that kind of thing and you'll get into their lists that way.

I recommend editing the post and removing the e-mail address from it, or at least obscuring it so a bot can't read it.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• abbi1680 (8/18/2009)

Hi,

Could you please email me the screening sql server dba questions.

Apparently you haven't been reading this topic closely enough. There's no list. Different companies ask different questions. It's not like a cert exam where you can study for it and pass based on memorized answers.

I am a sql dba and would be looking out for a job.

Great, then you don't need a list. Presumably you know your job well enough to answer any question put to you or to be honest enough when you don't know a question. Remember, the interviews are as much about soft skills as they are about you knowing SQL Server.

If you're really concerned, check out your local SQL Server Users Group and see if you can find a mentor to do mock interviews with you. Or ask your local contracting firm if they offer mock interview courses.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I liked the questions that Grant linked to in his 1st page post, but they are pretty basic.

IMHO it depends purely on the role. Some of the questions I have had, made me speechless at the time, you can never know everything.

basic stuff like

what is the difference between a clustered index and a unique index

name all the types of constraints

name all the database roles

to stuff like

how do you clone a report server

when do you use a cursor

tell me about large databases and how you would treat them different to small databases

The user has reported the server is slow, how do you troubleshoot the problem.

High availability which is better clustering or mirroring and why

tell me briefly how you set up clustering and which services are not cluster aware

how do you service pack a cluster, explain for both active active and active passive

how does pier to pier replication work

the list goes on and these are questions that I have been asked before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• I'm in a silly mood right now, so...

Silverfox (9/8/2009)

how do you clone a report server

Start with a bounty hunter and a water-covered planet.

when do you use a cursor

As seldom as possible

tell me about large databases

They're big

and how you would treat them different to small databases

Give them more drive space and ignore them. SQL manages itself after all. (sic)

The user has reported the server is slow, how do you troubleshoot the problem.

Ignore them. If it's a serious problem, they'll call back

High availability which is better clustering or mirroring and why

Yes.

how does pier to pier replication work

Recruit some strong deck hands and get them to carry the stuff.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Gail,

You're hired! Come on over to Florida and we'll discuss your exhorbitant salary that is totally off the scale compared to the DBAs we currently have now who foolishly assumed we wanted complicated answers to the interview.

@=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• How many dba’s and servers are using in organization

• New questions in a new thread please, and be specific if possible

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• This is not a new question . He actually replied to original post question which is "Common questions asked in SQL Server DBA..."

• Brandie Tarvin (9/9/2009)

Gail,

You're hired! Come on over to Florida and we'll discuss your exhorbitant salary that is totally off the scale compared to the DBAs we currently have now who foolishly assumed we wanted complicated answers to the interview.

@=)

Not too fast Brandie. Gail left out something important.

and how you would treat them different to small databases

Give them more drive space and ignore them. SQL manages itself after all. (sic)

She forgot the part about setting the datafile autogrowth to 25% instead of the default 10%

🙂

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Please note, resurrected year-old thread.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (10/8/2010)

Please note, resurrected year-old thread.

Ooops, timewarp malfunction?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• If relevent to the topic of the thread, does it matter if it is a new thread or a year old thread?

• fvcdata (2/13/2012)

Hi guys you will get great resources for sql server Interview questions and answers, pls follow link: http://www.sql-server-business-intelligence.com/sql-server/interview-questions-and-answers/sql-server-interview-questions-and-answers-pdf-download%5B/quote%5D

The date calculations are a bit bulbous. I haven't checked the long-hand answers for other things and probably won't. As with all such sites I say, "Caveate Emptor". 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi

You can find this info by using search box in the top of website with some keywords related before posting questions.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Production executive interview questions[/url]

Best regards.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply