Commit Work and rollback work

• Hello. Any one have used COMMIT WORK and ROLLBACK WORK? The idea is to process some inserts in quite a few tables, if error is more than zero rollback the whole script. I tried several options, but none seems to work. The insert statement works fine. We already test it and it is fine, but we are concern of the rollback process to get back to the beginning of the script and not commit any inserts, which it does not do. It inserts to the point of getting an error (data related or otherwise)

Any help is appreciated!!

Should be something like

BEGIN TRANSACTION

insert into ... blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah

IF @@ERROR <> 0 ROLLBACK WORK

IF @@ERROR = 0

COMMIT WORK

Thank you!!

• Try changing ROLLBACK WORK and COMMIT WORK to ROLLBACK TRANSACTION and COMMIT TRANSACTION

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Well COMMIT WORK and ROLLBACK WORK works similar to COMMIT TRANSACTION and ROLLBACK TRANSACTION, but if you are using multiple BEGIN TRANSACTIONS in your SP the ROLLBACK work will rollback the Outermost BEGIN TRANSACTION code. And also check where exactly you are checking for the @@ERROR .

Ofcourse another major difference being COMMIT TRANSACTION and ROLLBACK TRANSACTION accept a user defined TRANSACTION NAME which [WORK] doesnot. 

Thanks

Prasad Bhogadi
    www.inforaise.com

• Also be mindful that @@ERROR is reset after each statement is executed.  From looking at your pseudo-code, this may be your problem

BEGIN TRANSACTION  

insert into ... blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah

IF @@ERROR <> 0 ROLLBACK WORK  - the value of @@ERROR here is only for the last "blah" statement  to occur,  not for all of them

IF @@ERROR = 0  - the value here is likely to be zero because the last statement executed was just a read of @@ERROR

COMMIT WORK

You'll want to move @@ERROR into a local var after each statement, and read it later - like this:

BEGIN TRANS

insert blah

select @ins_error = @@Error

insert blah2

select @ins2_error = @@Error

if @ins_error = 0 and @ins2_error = 0

COMMIT TRANS

else

ROLLBACK

keith

• Great!! Thank you all. I think we figure out at the same time you guys were responding. Thank you anyway. I run it with the @@error for each statement in the sp and it seems to work. The developers will run it tonight the the big job they designed and hopefully it will work. Thank again

• -- example

if @ins_error1 = 0 and ins_error2=0

begin

commit TRANSACTION

print 'good commit both tables should be updated'

select @ins_error1

select @ins_error2

end

else

begin

rollback TRANSACTION

print 'no commit - ROLLBACK'

select @ins_error1

select @ins_error2

end 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply