Collation Question

• Hiya,

I have a sql 2012 server set up with collation Latin1_General_CI_AS  (default).
    A vendor is performing an upgrade from 2008R2,

The database being restored on is in collation SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_CI_AI (probably from a previous migration).

So I can tell the only difference is the accent sensitivity. fn_helpcollations tells me the rest, as below.

SELECT description FROM sys.fn_helpcollations() 
    WHERE name = 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_CI_A';

-- Latin1-General, case-insensitive, accent-insensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-insensitive for Unicode Data, SQL Server Sort Order 44 on Code Page 850 for non-Unicode Data

WHERE name = 'Latin1_General_CI_AS';

-- Latin1-General, case-insensitive, accent-sensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-insensitive

Is this a problem? I know that tempdb being in a different collation can cause problems, but how do I determine how MUCH of a problem?
    Am i worrying over nothing?

Thanks all
    R

• r5d4 - Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:14 AM

Hiya,

I have a sql 2012 server set up with collation Latin1_General_CI_AS  (default).
    A vendor is performing an upgrade from 2008R2,

The database being restored on is in collation SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_CI_AI (probably from a previous migration).

So I can tell the only difference is the accent sensitivity. fn_helpcollations tells me the rest, as below.

WHERE name = 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_CI_A';

-- Latin1-General, case-insensitive, accent-insensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-insensitive for Unicode Data, SQL Server Sort Order 44 on Code Page 850 for non-Unicode Data

WHERE name = 'Latin1_General_CI_AS';

-- Latin1-General, case-insensitive, accent-sensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-insensitive

Is this a problem? I know that tempdb being in a different collation can cause problems, but how do I determine how MUCH of a problem?
    Am i worrying over nothing?

Thanks all
    R

Why doesn't the vendor use the previous collation so that you don't have to worry about such things?  And, yea... changing accents could definitely cause a problem depending on the use of extended characters.  I don't know for sure, but I believe any database that you want to migrate by simply doing a restore is going to have the old collation.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• In each temp table a character column must have the same collation as columns it's matched to in JOIN or WHERE clauses.

To make the code independent from tempdb collation every CREATE #table statement must explicitly specify appropriate collation for all char columns.

If you cannot see it in code - then yes, you are facing a problem.

You have to make sure tempdb, and probably other system db's, have the same collation as they used to have.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply