Collation Error 468

• I've run into this error a number of times because I usually use a MSX server to keep track and schedule maintenance amongst multiple servers. The offending database(s) are always vendor supplied. PeopleSoft and their usage of 'binary' for 'performance' being the most frequent offender.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Found an explanation here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2007/10/10/5391882.aspx

You have to dig through a few posts, but basically the SQL team chose this collation to make things run a little quicker from when the setting was server wide. I'm not sure I completely understand the differences though.

• Personally I came across a similar issue when I was involved with the transfer of an application from a site in Holland to my office in the UK. It seems that the application had originally been developed in SQL Server v7 and over the years the instance had been upgraded to SQL Server 2000. I believe (I may be wrong here) the default collation settings had changed between versions, thus when I restored the database into a fresh instance of 2000 I started getting these odd collation errors.

What seemed to be happening was that the collation settings were different on the application database as opposed to the tempdb database, which we were using for temporary tables. I had to figure out what the necessary collation setting was for my tempdb, something that unfortunately can't be changed after SQL Server has been installed. Armed with this knowledge I had to reinstall my SQL Server instance with the correct collation settings set up at install time.

• I've had occasion to use COLLATE when I needed an accent insensitive search (I needed to find é as well as e when the user typed e), when all of our data has accent sensitive collation. The collation name has _AI on the end instead of _AS.

• When installing SQL Server you have two options:

1) Collation designator and sort order (default is Latin1_General)

2) SQL Collations (default is Dictionary order, case-insensitive).

It looks like you are seeing the difference between the two. Did you by any chance install SQL using Windows Collation designator one system and checked off "Accent - sensitive", but used SQL Collations on the other system?

• I didn't see it mentioned here but your database must be in 80 compatability for the collate to work in a select statement. I spent some time trying to figure out why I was getting a syntax error near the word collate.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply