Coding With Music

• Preferably in silence.

If not, Radio 4 (UK).

Failing that, Joe Satriani or similar...

• Silence. And headphones not plugged into anything.

• It depends on what I'm doing really. I've found that I write most creatively with jazz playing. And I like to have music if I'm doing something mindless/repetitive, like data entry. But if I have to concentrate, nothing beats a quiet room away from everyone else.

• Just one thing guys/gals:

Be careful with music headphones level... it can't be so much louder than 90dB (where db at his time is the onlye time that isn't DATABASE :hehe:) because louder than that for many hours can harm our ears. I mean our cells that captures de sound and it's still irreversible...

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loud_music we can read:

"Continual exposure to loud music may result in hearing loss. Depending on the decibel level, the amount of exposure prior to hearing damage varies. Music played at 90 decibels for an 8-hour period each day can cause damage, as can music played at 130 decibels for fewer than four minutes in a day.[3] Music played at 140 decibels or higher is considered a "danger level." While minor damage caused by lower levels is reversible, major damage caused by extremely loud music may be permanent.[4] The highest "safe" level is considered to be 85 decibels.

Continual exposure to loud music can also lead to tinnitus.[5]

It is predicted that exposure to loud music will cause as many as 50 million Americans to suffer hearing loss by 2050.[6]"

• When coding, I actually listen to industrial, dance music, etc. Prodigy, Nine Inch Nails, some VNV Nation, Iris, Crystal Method, some Chemical brothers, etc. I actually have a Pandora station all set up for it. I prefer the faster tempo stuff as, like someone else mentioned, I find myself working at the pace of the music. I also find that the repetitive nature of some of the music helps as I tend not to focus on it and instead let it settle into the background.

• Fun topic today πŸ™‚

Music, not too loud helps keep me focused. Doesn't matter if it has words or not, but the more UNfamiliar I am with the tune, the better.

Lately I've been tuning into Live365 as they have some Celtic music stations. But really, I don't have a favorite.

• Karl Heinz Brehme (12/3/2010)

Just one thing guys/gals:

Be careful with music headphones level... it can't be so much louder than 90dB (where db at his time is the onlye time that isn't DATABASE :hehe:) because louder than that for many hours can harm our ears. I mean our cells that captures de sound and it's still irreversible...

"Continual exposure to loud music may result in hearing loss. Depending on the decibel level, the amount of exposure prior to hearing damage varies. Music played at 90 decibels for an 8-hour period each day can cause damage, as can music played at 130 decibels for fewer than four minutes in a day.[3] Music played at 140 decibels or higher is considered a "danger level." While minor damage caused by lower levels is reversible, major damage caused by extremely loud music may be permanent.[4] The highest "safe" level is considered to be 85 decibels.

It is predicted that exposure to loud music will cause as many as 50 million Americans to suffer hearing loss by 2050.[6]"

My wife is an audiologist and she will be glad to hear that someone brought up this safety concern. As long as the headphones cancel most of the outside noise, then you don't have to turn them up too loud. This is the reason why I have the larger ones that cover my ears. Earbuds tend to let too much outside noise in and then you end up turning up the volume too loud. Tinnitus is a very bad thing especially as it is not curable. If you like hearing sounds like crickets chirping in your ears continually for the rest of your life then go ahead and blast your headphones. I would not recommend it. πŸ™‚

• Kenneth Wymore (12/3/2010)

Karl Heinz Brehme (12/3/2010)

My wife is an audiologist and she will be glad to hear that someone brought up this safety concern. As long as the headphones cancel most of the outside noise, then you don't have to turn them up too loud. This is the reason why I have the larger ones that cover my ears. Earbuds tend to let too much outside noise in and then you end up turning up the volume too loud. Tinnitus is a very bad thing especially as it is not curable. If you like hearing sounds like crickets chirping in your ears continually for the rest of your life then go ahead and blast your headphones. I would not recommend it. πŸ™‚

Thanks. Well actually I don't work "just" with database, web and mobile devices, but I studied audio and accoustic, I'm musiciand and producer, so this info is something important to a musician, audio engineer, etc... so for me it's an important thing to show to ppl.

• This time of year - Handel's Messiah! Have to love this composition and you can really work with this in the background. I do have to say that I type a bit faster too. πŸ™‚

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Like a lot of people, what I listen to depends on what I'm doing.

I alternate between no headphones, listening to NPR, and listening to music (alt rock & blues).

Because I can be interrupted frequently by people with questions or needing help with a database issue and I sit facing the corner of my cubicle, I wear my headphones on only one ear so I can hear someone trying to get my attention.

Greg

• I don't listen to music when I work because

(1) headphones hurt my ears after the first 15 minutes

(2) If I do try to listen to music, I spend too much time/effort choosing the next song or skipping around to find the "best tune".

I don't mind having music playing in the office, but often if it is "office music" it's usually that lame "muzak" stuff that I ignore.

• We don't have 5' cubicles, we have 40" walls. Very noisy and distracting. I sometimes use headphones, but the music I like can be distracting to me (hard to not get into blues). I usually end up relying on ear plugs. This also allows me the benefit of removing just one of them and listening in on conference calls.

• Karl Heinz Brehme (12/3/2010)

Kenneth Wymore (12/3/2010)

Karl Heinz Brehme (12/3/2010)

Thanks. Well actually I don't work "just" with database, web and mobile devices, but I studied audio and accoustic, I'm musiciand and producer, so this info is something important to a musician, audio engineer, etc... so for me it's an important thing to show to ppl.

My wife is deaf...trust me people it ain't easy. It's easier for people who already have the ability to speak and a good understanding of sound. But people are unknowingly rude and inconsiderate to deaf people.

The worst thing is someone who doesn't know they're losing their hearing. People get frustrated in conversations either because the person isn't catching on to someone talking to them or having to repeat themselves.

Anyway there is a whole other thread to be considered for hearing loss. Protect your hearing so you can keep enjoying that music. πŸ˜€

• Like many others here, I find music with lyrics to be very distracting. Actually I prefer not to listen to music, but I'm in a cubicle environment and find it necessary to block out other distractions (and especially now that construction is happening directly below my window!).

I know I'm a little late to respond, but I would really appreciate people posting specific examples of instrumental music that they like to listen to while working. I find it hard to find instrumental music that doesn't put me to sleep! Some people mentioned Jazz - can anyone share specific artists that are upbeat enough to keep us awake and alert?

My absolute favorite is the album Airdrawndagger by Sasha. The entire album is instrumental and each song flows seamlessly into the next song. Since the construction at work started about a month ago, I'm pretty sure I've listened to it at least once a day!

I highly recommend a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones. That way you don't have to blast the music to counter the noise distractions, and you can use them without music for some white noise.

• I, too, prefer to listen to music without vocals when those on the other side of the walls get too squirrely. Manneheim Steamroller & Kitaro are the two I have the most of. However, when I need upbeat songs for energy, I'll listen to 70s/80s with vocals.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply