Clustering

• This is my first experience with clustering. We have a SQL 2000 server that is currently not clustered and we are in the process of moving it to new hardware and clustering it. Will I be able to restore the master database (we are changing server names also) from the non-clustered server onto the cluster once I am ready to move this system?

• If I'm not mistaken you can restore master from a non-clustered to a clustered envionrment. I'll do some checking to make sure. What reason other than logins and the like do you need to move master to the clustered invionrment for?

Wes

• Good question. I am planning the migration to clustering and just thought restoring master would be the easiest way but maybe just moving the logins would be the easiest. Still have that v6.5 mindset sometimes.

• When I did this, I just restored the user databases. This means you have to fix up the users in master and the jobs in MSDN, but otherwise it's pretty trouble free. I've not had a lot of happy experiences restoring master from tape.

• Same here, I just usually go back in and fix logins and jobs. It's kind of a pain to restore master. BOL recommends detaching and reattaching databases then recreating logins that are needed so you don't run into any corruption problems with master. It will make clean entries into master for all databases and users that way.

Hope that helps.

Wes

• Thanks for the input. That is the route I will take. Any advice for intergrated Win 2000 logins from one domain to another. My thought is to drop and recreate them as new ones.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply