CLR with SQL Server 2005 - Compatablity = SQL 2000

• I have a Sql Server 2005 Database that has it's compatibility set to 2000. I'm trying to create a stored procedure that references a vb.net assembly. I've gotten to the point where I'm creating my stored procedure and trying to have it include the code:

External Name ....

where I reference the assembly ( which was created successfully )

I'm getting the message:

'Incorrect syntax near 'external'. You may need to set the compatibility level of the current database to a higher value to enable this feature. See help for the stored procedure sp_dbcmptlevel.'

If I can't change the compatibility level to 2005 am I out of luck?

Any help would be appreciated,

Aaron

• To use CLR stored procedures, your database needs to be in Compatability Mode 9.0 (SQL Server 2005).

• I've successfully created my assembly from my vb.net project. However when I try to create my stored procedure to call the function with the statement External Name DWFWebService ( where DWFWebService is the name of my assembly ) I'm not sure how to reference my functing that I created in my vb project ( I have very little experience in vb ).

Here's a rundown of whats in my project:

Solution Explorer

DWF_vb_WebService

My Project

- Web References

ServiceBroker

ClassDiagram1.cd

DWFWebService.snk

Service1.asmx

Settings.vb

Web.config

Then I have, what I guess, is a function

Service1.asmx.vb

Imports System.Web.Services

Imports System.Web.Services.Protocols

Imports System.ComponentModel

_

_

_

Public Class Service1

Inherits System.Web.Services.WebService

_

Public Function CALL_WebService(ByVal strXML As String) As String

Try

Dim objService As ServiceBroker.dwng_broker = New ServiceBroker.dwng_broker()

Return objService.Talk(strXML, "3")

Catch ex As Exception

Return ex.Message

End Try

End Function

End Class

Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron

• We solved this problem by creating a 'Tools' database which is in SQL2005 mode, and hosting CLR objects and other 2005 stuff there. You can then call them from the 2000 compatible database.

I have used this to handle CTE based recursive functions and code needing features like CROSS APPLY as well as CLR functions. Seems to work OK!

Tony

• That's exactly what I ended up doing. Everything's going live this weekend, so fingers are crossed!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply