CLR Functions and application object references

• I have a tSQL function which calculates straight line distances between locations from the UK grid coordinates corresponding to UK post codes. However, I now have a requirement for finding out the distance by road instead. I could do this in .NET easily enough by calling the MapPoint Distance function, but I can't add an object reference to MapPoint (or any other COM object apparently) from a CLR project in VS2005.

Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to solve this dilemma?

Tony

• You can do this if you set the database to trustworthy and the assembly to unsafe:

ALTER DATABASE myDatabase SET TRUSTWORTHY ON

alter/create assembly .... WITH PERMISSION_SET = UNSAFE

(note that both of these are security risks). In the furute SQL Server 2008 will be able to do this natively "well, via internal CLR anyway :)"

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• But my problem starts in VS2005, long before I get to the deployment stage.

After creating a new SQL-CLR project, I can't find any way of adding a refernce to MapPoint. There is no COM option in the Add reference dialog, only SQL assemblies and projects. I tried creating a pure .NET solution hoping to be able to refernce that, but it doesn't appear in the solutions tab, and there is no option to browse to a solution or COM object.

Tony

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply