Cloud First Software

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Cloud First Software

• From the article:

"The last few years, however, it seems that ASD is getting features first, which then slip into a release that I can download and run locally."

I absolutely love that model.  It's another opportunity for MS to repair any issues with the new code long before it makes it to on-prem. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I don't rent music. I like having the physical medium along with the cover artwork and lyrics (if provided).

• As a musician, I really don't like music rental. The only people that make money are the execs at these services. I have to have 1000 streams to make enough to buy a cup of coffee. I make more selling 1 CD. So unless you're a huge band / musician, you make next to nothing. Merch and live shows are the only ways local bands make any money.

• When it comes to developing database objects and SQL, I make an effort to stick with plain 99% ANSI compliant code and data types, so the code and data can easily downgrade to a previous version of SQL Server or migrate to another vendor's database platform. When coding SQL, it's easy to fall into the same trap that handicaps HTML coders - we see a shiny new proprietary feature that offers a marginal benefit, but at some point we realize that cross platform compatibility is a virtue. For example, I've developed a lot of SSIS packages, but for most of the ETL or polling jobs I've developed over the past several years, I've used PowerShell scripting - which is a Microsoft product but still cross platform and works perfectly fine running on Linux and executing SQL on Oracle.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• The cloud-first approach seems to be working well for databases, and there is still a "boxed" product for those who can't/won't move to the cloud, and they get the benefit of having the cloud users beta-testing the software so they likely get something with fewer bugs.

Personally, I resent Adobe moving to a pure rental model, with no more "boxed" product. As an amateur photographer, I need access to Lightroom and Photoshop, but maybe only use them a couple of hours per month. To have to pay a large monthly expense for an all-you-can-eat plan I don't need just to get the new features doesn't seem fair. They even stopped paying licenses for third party libraries used in the "boxed" products, so some features of LR 6 stopped working, so my "forever" license to those features is not as originally represented. I'd pay for a version upgrade for my LR 6 and PS 6, but none is offered.

Microsoft is offering a metered "boxed" product for those that want one, but Adobe hasn't done that. I wish they would go cloud-first instead of cloud-only.

• m60freeman wrote:

Personally, I resent Adobe moving to a pure rental model, with no more "boxed" product. As an amateur photographer, I need access to Lightroom and Photoshop, but maybe only use them a couple of hours per month. To have to pay a large monthly expense for an all-you-can-eat plan I don't need just to get the new features doesn't seem fair.

From one amateur photographer to another, I feel your pain with Adobe. I still have Lightroom 5.x and Photoshop 6.x because of the cloud only move Adobe made. I used to skip one or two versions until I really wanted a feature and then upgrade. Now there is no way I'm paying them monthly for something I use occasionally.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I absolutely love that model.  It's another opportunity for MS to repair any issues with the new code long before it makes it to on-prem. 😀

A cloud provider of SaaS products absolutely needs their product to be reliable and have a low maintenance overhead.  Any issues with the product are going to be felt very quickly by the provider so the likelihood and speed of fix should be quick as well.

The pain points I find with cloud first, and especially cloud only are

• Everything costs and often costs a lot more than you were expecting
    • How do you run a comprehensive test on software written to use cloud services?
    • If you can test against cloud services how do you do so without incurring excessive costs?

In the AWS world and with Python development many of the services can be tested locally using the Moto mocking library.  There are also things like LocalStack which provide local AWS functionality for some services.  For example, you can have a local S3 bucket.

There must be the equivalent of these for Azure and GCP surely?

• Jeff Moden wrote:

A cloud provider of SaaS products absolutely needs their product to be reliable and have a low maintenance overhead.  Any issues with the product are going to be felt very quickly by the provider so the likelihood and speed of fix should be quick as well.

• How do you run a comprehensive test on software written to use cloud services?
    • If you can test against cloud services how do you do so without incurring excessive costs?

In the AWS world and with Python development many of the services can be tested locally using the Moto mocking library.  There are also things like LocalStack which provide local AWS functionality for some services.  For example, you can have a local S3 bucket.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

• Heh... who said anything about using "cloud services"?  Not me. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• David.Poole wrote:

Azure local test environment: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-sql/database/local-dev-experience-set-up-dev-environment?view=azuresql&tabs=vscode

Not sure I think it matches exactly, but haven't explored it extensively.

• I think music rental is very interesting, and I find myself listening to lots of different music, more artists that are not mainstream. Whether that works out for them is another story, but I likely would never buy their CDs or find them without streaming.

For software like Adobe, I get it. I'd like to see them think about the very occasional user, or consider how many amateurs use the product, but I am guessing they just want to get users willing to pay more. I would hope there would be some lower value/lower cost products, but I know it's incredibly time consuming to build the software.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply