CHOOSing a value

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item CHOOSing a value

• Thanks for sharing! This is an interesting question to start the week. For those starting work after the holidays - Have a Happy New Year 2020!

Reading the documentation and some testing made me realize an interesting point - the return type for CHOOSE works a bit counter-intuitively.

The documentation states that the return type is the highest precedence from the supplied set. The example supplied has string, integer and decimal data. The highest precedence therefore is decimal and one can expect an error because the string supplied cannot be converted to a decimal implicitly.

However, testing reveals that an error is encountered only when the index (@i = 6) - meaning only when CHOOSE actually tries to return the string value to the caller.

To summarize: a determination of the return data-type is done based on the data in the entire set but actual data-type conversion is done only when that element is accessed based on the supplied index.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nakul Vachhrajani.
    http://nakulvachhrajani.com

Follow me on
    Twitter: @sqltwins

• Nice question to start the week on, thanks Steve

• Saw the 3, answered 3.

Only noticed it was 3.14 later.

Bad start to the week.

• Think it would be worth mentioning in the Explanation that the return type is determined by data type precedence; in case someone wonders why it isn't 3, due to the data type of the first possible value being an int.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Very useful function for "Status"  column.

thanks Nakul Vachhrajani for return type testing.

ThanksSaurabh.D

• Saurabh.D wrote:

Very useful function for "Status"  column.

thanks Nakul Vachhrajani for return type testing.

I would think that an actual join with a lookup table would be better so that you don't have to maintain a list of Statuses in multiple places in code, especially since a new status can crop up at any time.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• nice question

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The more you know, the more you know that you dont know

• For the sake of completeness, CHOOSE() ignores errors too, until you access this value:

-- works well
    DECLARE @i INT = 4;
    SELECT CHOOSE(@i, 10,20,30,3.14,50,'Test', 1/0)
    GO
    -- returns division by zero error
    DECLARE @i INT = 7;
    SELECT CHOOSE(@i, 10,20,30,3.14,50,'Test', 1/0)

On the other hand the same stuff would work with a simple case too:

DECLARE @i INT = 4; -- works for all but 6 and 7
    SELECT CASE @i WHEN 1 THEN 10
    WHEN 2 THEN 20
    WHEN 3 THEN 30
    WHEN 4 THEN 3.14
    WHEN 5 THEN 50
    WHEN 6 THEN 'TEST'
    WHEN 7 THEN 1/0
    END

God is real, unless declared integer.

• Thomas Franz wrote:

For the sake of completeness, CHOOSE() ignores errors too, until you access this value

I suspect that because it uses the same logic as a CASE expression, which does the same. The below runs fine, despite it looking complete non-sensical:

SELECT CASE 1 WHEN 1 THEN 1
    WHEN 2 THEN 7.4
    WHEN 3 THEN 1/0
    WHEN 4 THEN 'abc'
    ELSE 'spagetti'
    END;

Of course, if you change it to CASE 3 (or 4 or 5) it goes wrong.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Bit of a funny one

😎

Extract from the execution plan (input value = 1)

(Scalar Operator(CASE WHEN [@i]=(1) THEN (10.00) ELSE CASE WHEN [@i]=(2) THEN (20.00) ELSE CASE WHEN [@i]=(3) THEN (30.00) ELSE CASE WHEN [@i]=(4) THEN (3.14) ELSE CASE WHEN [@i]=(5) THEN (50.00) ELSE CASE WHEN [@i]=(6) THEN CONVERT_IMPLICIT(numeric(4,2),'Test',0) ELSE NULL END END END END END END))

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply