Check for table EXISTence in SQL '08

• My SQL 2000 stored proc was migrated as shown below. All the SQL 2000 tables & procs were built by [dbo] using "sa" login, and all the applications which called procs use "sa" in their connection strings. This proc checks for existence of a table called tCLsearch1. In SSMS it looks like this: [dbo].[tCLsearch1]. If it finds the table, it's supposed to drop it, and build a new one.

When we migrated to SQL '08 we took the opportunity to move away from the sysadmin login ("sa") and set up a new user login "vb6l". Now, when I run this proc, it builds the table as [vb6l].[tCLsearch1]. When I run the proc again, it tells me "there is already a table named tCLsearch1", which indicates my EXIST statement is not working.

Can someone tell me what the correct syntax is now for SQL '08 to check the existence of a table before further processing?

USE [SfiData]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[pGetItemLot] Script Date: 02/02/2010 11:18:17 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS OFF

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[pGetItemLot] @item char(5),

@lot char(20),

@desc char(50)output

AS

set nocount on

If Exists (SELECT * from sysobjects

WHERE id = object_id('[SfiData].[dbo].[tCLsearch1]') AND

OBJECTPROPERTY(id, 'IsUserTable') = 1)

DROP TABLE tCLsearch1

declare @ID int,

@season varchar(7),

@CurrentYear int,

@dateused datetime,

@dailylot char(20),

@ingrnum char(5),

@sfilot char (20),

@itemnum char(5),

@EOF INT,

@vennum smallint,

@venname char(30),

@venlot char(20)

Select @EOF = 0

Create Table tCLsearch1

(usedate datetime,

dlotnumber char(20),

itemnumber char(5),

ingrnum char(5),

ingrdesc char(20),

ingrlot char(20),

idesc char(20),

vendornum smallint,

vendorname char(30),

vendorlot char(20),

venrecdate char(6))

Select @CurrentYear = CurrentYear, @season = CurrentSeason

FROM tSystemValues

DECLARE lot_cursor CURSOR FOR

SELECT f.Dateused, f.DailyLotNumber, f.ProductNumber, f.IngredientNumber, f.SFILotNumber, c.Description

From tFinishedProductLotNumbers f, tCurrentItems c

Where f.ProductNumber = @item AND DailyLotNumber = @lot

AND c.ItemNumber = @item and c.CatalogYear = @CurrentYear

IF @item IS NULL

Begin

Set @desc = 'Invalid Product!(pGetItemLot)'

GOTO nomatch

End

Else

Open lot_cursor

FETCH NEXT FROM lot_cursor INTO @dateused, @dailylot, @itemnum, @ingrnum, @sfilot, @desc

SELECT @EOF = @@fetch_status

WHILE (@EOF = 0)

BEGIN

Insert INTO tCLsearch1 (usedate, dlotnumber, itemnumber, ingrnum, ingrlot, idesc)

VALUES (@dateused, @dailylot, @itemnum, @ingrnum, @sfilot, @desc)

FETCH NEXT FROM lot_cursor INTO @dateused, @dailylot, @itemnum, @ingrnum, @sfilot, @desc

SELECT @EOF = @@fetch_status

END

CLOSE lot_cursor

DEALLOCATE lot_cursor

UPDATE tCLsearch1

SET vendornum = v.VendorNumber, vendorlot = v.VendorLot, venrecdate = v.RecvDate

FROM tVendorLotNumbers v

WHERE (v.ProductNumber = ingrnum) AND (v.SFIlot = ingrlot)

UPDATE tCLsearch1

set vendorname = v.Name

FROM tblVendors v

WHERE v.VendorNumber = vendornum

UPDATE tCLsearch1

SET ingrdesc = c.Description

From tCurrentItems c

Where c.ItemNumber = ingrnum AND c.CatalogYear = @CurrentYear

nomatch: [/code]

Wallace Houston
    Sunnyland Farms, Inc.

"We must endeavor to persevere."

• whouston (2/2/2010)

My SQL 2000 stored proc was migrated as shown below. All the SQL 2000 tables & procs were built by [dbo] using "sa" login, and all the applications which called procs use "sa" in their connection strings. This proc checks for existence of a table called tCLsearch1. In SSMS it looks like this: [dbo].[tCLsearch1]. If it finds the table, it's supposed to drop it, and build a new one.

When we migrated to SQL '08 we took the opportunity to move away from the sysadmin login ("sa") and set up a new user login "vb6l". Now, when I run this proc, it builds the table as [vb6l].[tCLsearch1]. When I run the proc again, it tells me "there is already a table named tCLsearch1", which indicates my EXIST statement is not working.

Can someone tell me what the correct syntax is now for SQL '08 to check the existence of a table before further processing?

Create Table tCLsearch1

UPDATE tCLsearch1

UPDATE tCLsearch1

UPDATE tCLsearch1

[/code]

Change those lines to:

Create Table dbo.tCLsearch1

UPDATE dbo.tCLsearch1

UPDATE dbo.tCLsearch1

UPDATE dbo.tCLsearch1

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• You could add this to the proc to make sure all the tables are created by the dbo user.

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[pGetItemLot] @item char(5),

@lot char(20),

@desc char(50)output

with execute as 'dbo'

as

rest of proc

• 1. You could expressly create the table with a schema-qualified name ([dbo].[tablename]).

2. Testing IF OBJECT_ID(N'table') IS NOT NULL is a common test for file existence. To be absolutely certain that the object named is a table, you can add to a test against the sys.objects view or the sys.Tables view. A couple of variations are shown below.

SET NOCOUNT ON;

-- Commonly Seen

IF OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.BrandNewTable') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE dbo.BrandNewTable

-- Variations that confirm object is a user table

IF OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.BrandNewTable') IS NOT NULL AND

EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM sys.objects WHERE name = 'BrandNewTable' and TYPE = 'U' )

BEGIN

PRINT 'dbo.BranNewTable Found. Dropping table now'

DROP TABLE dbo.BrandNewTable

END

ELSE

BEGIN

PRINT 'dbo.BrandNewTable not found. Creating table now.'

CREATE TABLE dbo.BrandNewTable (data varchar(max))

END

select * from sys.tables

GO

IF OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.BrandNewTable') IS NOT NULL AND

EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM sys.objects WHERE name = 'BrandNewTable' and TYPE = 'U' )

BEGIN

PRINT 'dbo.BranNewTable Found. Dropping table now'

DROP TABLE dbo.BrandNewTable

END

ELSE

BEGIN

PRINT 'dbo.BrandNewTable not found. Creating table now.'

CREATE TABLE dbo.BrandNewTable (data varchar(max))

END

IF EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM SYS.TABLES WHERE [object_ID] = OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.BrandNewTable') and TYPE = 'U')

BEGIN

PRINT 'Table Exists.'

END

ELSE

BEGIN

PRINT 'No table Exists.'

END

select * from sys.tables

GO

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Another alternative is to change the DEFAULT_SCHEMA for the new user using ALTER USER - see Books Online (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176060.aspx)

@bob-2,

Another way to check is:

OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.BrandNewTable', N'U')

The second parameter specifies the type of object to match with. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190328.aspx

I personally think that the second parameter to OBJECT_ID should be compulsory.

Paul

• never mind. Didn't read the whole story before answering. Sorry.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• You schooled me again, Paul. In all my years I've honestly never looked up OBJECT_ID to see if it even had a second parameter, although it had occurred to me more than once that it was clumsy to have to go look up the type separately. Now, I've gone to BOL and have stored away the useful fact that OBJECT_ID returns NULL when you give it the name of a spatial index. Thanks.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob,

You're welcome - it's amazing how many people don't know about the second parameter.

I try to include it in all my test rig set-up scripts these days to help people notice.

Handy isn't it? Though, as you rightly point out, it only works for schema-scoped objects.

Paul

• It's odd that Microsoft doesn't use that in DROP/CREATE scripts. I guess they rely on the fact that object names have to be unique.

• The Dixie Flatline (2/7/2010)

It's odd that Microsoft doesn't use that in DROP/CREATE scripts. I guess they rely on the fact that object names have to be unique.

Microsoft can't write SQL for toffee 😀

• I appreciate all the responses. I used WayneS's suggestion and added 'dbo.' prefix to any mention of a table (or procedure) and that did the trick. I will try MV Jones' suggestion of using 'execute as' at the next opportunity.

I realize now that I was spoiled with SQL 2000 and Enterprise Manager (which seemed much easier to work with BTW).

Thanx for the Help!

Wallace

Wallace Houston
    Sunnyland Farms, Inc.

"We must endeavor to persevere."

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply