Changing the Path for the Master Database

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Changing the Path for the Master Database

Sadan Kumar Budde

• Very well written article. However you have not mentioned Microsoft's recommendation to alter the registry setting at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\instance_ID\Setup, where instance_id is the installed instance you are moving and to change the SQLDataRoot value to the new path, otherwise updates and patches may fail.

• HappyGeek - Thursday, December 14, 2017 12:59 AM

Very well written article. However you have not mentioned Microsoft's recommendation to alter the registry setting at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\instance_ID\Setup, where instance_id is the installed instance you are moving and to change the SQLDataRoot value to the new path, otherwise updates and patches may fail.

Do you have a link to said article?  Never done this when moving the master DB as not modifying the binary location, only where the master mdf and ldf live which is totally configurable through SQL Config Manager as Sadan's article shows.

• anthony.green - Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:06 AM

HappyGeek - Thursday, December 14, 2017 12:59 AM

Very well written article. However you have not mentioned Microsoft's recommendation to alter the registry setting at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\instance_ID\Setup, where instance_id is the installed instance you are moving and to change the SQLDataRoot value to the new path, otherwise updates and patches may fail.

Do you have a link to said article?  Never done this when moving the master DB as not modifying the binary location, only where the master mdf and ldf live which is totally configurable through SQL Config Manager as Sadan's article shows.

Sure, try this Microsoft article it is mentioned in paragraph 10 under Moving the master Database.

• HappyGeek - Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:20 AM

anthony.green - Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:06 AM

HappyGeek - Thursday, December 14, 2017 12:59 AM

Sure, try this Microsoft article it is mentioned in paragraph 10 under Moving the master Database.

Thanks, and the only reason I didn't know that is they only added that point 10 to the 2016 documentation, the 2014, 2012 docs don't mention it, thanks for the updated info.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345408(v=sql.120).aspx
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345408(v=sql.110).aspx

• Thanks for sharing. 
    You might also make a note about permissions. If the service account doesn't have appropriate permissions on the new path then SQL won't start.
    I'd also stress the fact that there is no space between the parameters (-d etc... )and its value (C:\...). I assume lots of people don't notice that and it can be a pain to troubleshoot
    Best regards
    Thierry

• Sorry, I found the answer to my question, ignore this.

• richlion2 - Wednesday, December 20, 2017 5:01 AM

Sorry, I found the answer to my question, ignore this.

What was the question and answer? Someone may want to know and benefit.

• Sure

Sadan Kumar Budde

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply