Certification choice-Dev or BI advice please!!

• Hi,

I've been working on SQL Server 2005 for more than 2 years now. I've worked on Database development, design, administration and BI(SSAS,SSRS)....

Having got a 'feel' for all these aspects i want to focus more on Database development, especially BI.

I also want to do a MCTS certification in SQL 2008( this would logically have a better shelf life plus i would learn all the new features while studying for it).

My question is-should i go in directly for the 70-448( MCTS BI cert) or first do the MCTS 70-433(database development).

I have installed a developer version of SQL server 2008 and been playing with it.

My main motive is to learn and focus in one area and that is BI eventually down the road. but since it is my first cert and i am unsure if i will have the time to give many more in the future i am leaning towards the BI track.

What do you think? any thoughts or suggestions?

• I'd say that if your goal is to work in BI then do the BI cert. I also think, and this is just my opinion, that BI is the hot commodity right now and will look better on the resume\CV.

• I would suggest studying for both of the exams, but maybe only taking / focusing on BI. A solid understanding of querying in SQL Server will go a long way. The Certfication will get to the interview, the Understanding of SQL will get you the job.

Just my 2 cents.

• "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." --"Yogi" Berra

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I would go down the BI route, there is more work for the BI side and being certified in BI will give you more of an advantage career wise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• I'm starting to think I should do the same thing myself. I was thinking about the developer certification but maybe the BI one would have better employment potential. I'll probably be making a carrer change soon, so ...... time to get off my a## and do something about it.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Thanks for all your replies..they seem to point in one direction

Alvin Ramard (10/6/2009)

I'm starting to think I should do the same thing myself. I was thinking about the developer certification but maybe the BI one would have better employment potential. I'll probably be making a carrer change soon, so ...... time to get off my a## and do something about it.

Did you know that if you buy the official study guide from MS press you get 15% off the exam.seems like a good deal..!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply