Caught in Wrong Job ....

• Hi All,

Today, joined as a database administrator. At the time of interview I was told that my job will be to optimize the query performance and tuning the sql server and the ERP application of the company, even all the questions asked at the time of interview were of SQL SERVER administeration and was told that this profile will also 30-40% work of software configuration management thru Microsoft Visual Source Safe and Microsoft Team Foundation Server.But today it looked to me that most of the work is to maintain the files using the afore mentioned softwares and the database admin work is about 20-30%.

I joined this company in order to have an experince in clustering and log shipping...as my previous company didn't hv clustering and logshipping.....

Please help me to get out of this situation.......

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

• This is your first day and you start thinking to quit !!!!!!!! You did not catch in the wrong job, it seemed to me you caught in the wrong attitude!!!!!

My advice is either you quit at this moment or stick with the job and see how it takes you. Maybe they will let you do log shipping later on. Besides you said you had no experience in log shipping and if I am the manager, I properly will not assign you to do log shipping the first day at work. I need to see your work for a while before I will let you do something new.

• Not sure what you can do there other than look for another job.

You want to perform lots of due diligence, meaning talk to more than the hiring manager. Talk to employees as well.

I'd also raise this with your boss and say that it seems this isn't the job. Maybe they will do something, maybe not.

• For what it's worth - stable or no, happy or no, I wouldn't go around advertising who I work for. Especially if you don't have something else lined up. No company likes to have their name splashed across the NET with something negative being posted (no matter how inocuous). As a matter of fact - I know quite a few who would dismiss you just for mentioning them in the context you did.

Do yourself a favor - edit your initial post, and take that out. Also - you might care to give it a few days: it could be that this rewriting is something urgent. In my experience, the 20% isn't an exact figure, nor is it an expectation of exactly how EACH DAY might break down. Talk to the manager, and find out what is up. If you did make a bad choice, then start looking, while you keep doing the job requested (assuming you can). Making a bad choice is one thing; that being said - if you give it a try and make sure you don't like it would make a lot stronger case to your next job's hiring managers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I agree with the others... stick it out for at least 90 days. If I had quit my previous job due to "disuse" in the first 90 days, I'd have missed the opportunity of a lifetime. And, remember... they just don't hand over the keys to the "world" on the first day... you must prove yourself both trustworthy and diligent.

Learn to "Wax on... Wax Off" while walking on rice paper without tearing it... it'll be your turn to carry the hot hibachi in your bare forearms soon enough. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Loner (9/22/2008)

This is your first day and you start thinking to quit !!!!!!!! You did not catch in the wrong job, it seemed to me you caught in the wrong attitude!!!!!

My advice is either you quit at this moment or stick with the job and see how it takes you. Maybe they will let you do log shipping later on. Besides you said you had no experience in log shipping and if I am the manager, I properly will not assign you to do log shipping the first day at work. I need to see your work for a while before I will let you do something new.

I agree with you...but I why they want me to work on Team foundation server and VSS....Does these application hav any future in conjunction with sql server administeration

Regards,

• Matt Miller (9/22/2008)

For what it's worth - stable or no, happy or no, I wouldn't go around advertising who I work for. Especially if you don't have something else lined up. No company likes to have their name splashed across the NET with something negative being posted (no matter how inocuous). As a matter of fact - I know quite a few who would dismiss you just for mentioning them in the context you did.

Do yourself a favor - edit your initial post, and take that out. Also - you might care to give it a few days: it could be that this rewriting is something urgent. In my experience, the 20% isn't an exact figure, nor is it an expectation of exactly how EACH DAY might break down. Talk to the manager, and find out what is up. If you did make a bad choice, then start looking, while you keep doing the job requested (assuming you can). Making a bad choice is one thing; that being said - if you give it a try and make sure you don't like it would make a lot stronger case to your next job's hiring managers.

Thanks for da col advice...actually i lost my head when I came to know that my work is only to maintain a central repository of the files of developers ..... One thing that I forgot to tell that I am the only DBA i.e there is no senior DBA from whom I can learn.....

With current slump in IT market...I hv no other option to try this out for some 90-120 days .. and then look out for a new job....

but question here is that if i didn't get any experience on SQL server in next 90 days ..... then how will i pitch my self for an interview

Regards,

• Ahmad Osama (9/22/2008)

but question here is that if i didn't get any experience on SQL server in next 90 days ..... then how will i pitch my self for an interview

It's funny how people are... they stand in the middle of a lake and can't find a drop to drink. 😛

You want experience? Start working on, solving, and posting answers to threads on this forum. I guarantee that you'll never see as many different problems on the job (although some folks come close ;)).

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (9/22/2008)

Ahmad Osama (9/22/2008)

It's funny how people are... they stand in the middle of a lake and can't find a drop to drink. 😛

You want experience? Start working on, solving, and posting answers to threads on this forum. I guarantee that you'll never see as many different problems on the job (although some folks come close ;)).

Thanks....

Regards,

• Jeff Moden (9/22/2008)

Ahmad Osama (9/22/2008)

Brilliant solution Jeff. Actually if he try to solve all the questions/problems asked in this forum he may become MVP. Osama we want to see more of you here.

🙂

• Anirban Paul (9/22/2008)

Jeff Moden (9/22/2008)

Ahmad Osama (9/22/2008)

Brilliant solution Jeff. Actually if he try to solve all the questions/problems asked in this forum he may become MVP. Osama we want to see more of you here.

🙂

sure anirbhan..... do u hv any idea about the scope of Team foundation server

Regards,

• Ummm... disregard my last... it appears that you're only interested in clustering and log shipping.:)

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (9/22/2008)

Ummm... disregard my last... it appears that you're only interested in clustering and log shipping.:)

not at all....tho i think that these are the core DBA fields and each one shud hav pratical knowledge of them....

Regards,

• Ahmad Osama (9/22/2008)

tho i think that these are the core DBA fields and each one shud hav pratical knowledge of them....

That's a very narrow view of the DBA role. Personally I've never implemented either and I don't expect to do so. Most of my former team members (DBA for a large bank) didn't do clustering or log shipping on a regular basis, if at all

What about backups (recoverability), database design, performance tuning, general maintenance (reorg, integrity check), security, ...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/23/2008)

Ahmad Osama (9/22/2008)

tho i think that these are the core DBA fields and each one shud hav pratical knowledge of them....

What about backups (recoverability), database design, performance tuning, general maintenance (reorg, integrity check), security, ...

So ..can I excel in these things just by solving issues on communities or do they need some practical knowledge

Regards,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply