CAST tinyint to nvarchar

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item CAST tinyint to nvarchar

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• According to CAST and CONVERT, an E should be returned, but that is not the case.

Below the table where it states that "E" will be returned there is a footnote that states:

E = Error returned because result length is too short to display.

So surely when it states it returns "E" and you get an arithmetic overflow error the behaviour is exactly as described?

• gareth.davison (2/26/2016)

According to CAST and CONVERT, an E should be returned, but that is not the case.

Below the table where it states that "E" will be returned there is a footnote that states:

So surely when it states it returns "E" and you get an arithmetic overflow error the behaviour is exactly as described?

The function doesn't return an "E" at all. It doesn't return anything. It throws an error.

Thanks, Steve. BOL being wrong is a great way to end the week.

• Ed Wagner (2/26/2016)

gareth.davison (2/26/2016)

According to CAST and CONVERT, an E should be returned, but that is not the case.

The function doesn't return an "E" at all. It doesn't return anything. It throws an error.

BOL is NOT wrong. If you look below the chart in question, it explains that "E" is a place holder in the chart meaning that some error will be returned.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• BOL does note this will return an error, but the "E" in the chart is very misleading. I'd say this is one of the poorer documentation efforts to not just put the "rror" in the chart.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/26/2016)

BOL does note this will return an error, but the "E" in the chart is very misleading. I'd say this is one of the poorer documentation efforts to not just put the "rror" in the chart.

Agreed. The article could definitely be improved.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Ed Wagner (2/26/2016)

gareth.davison (2/26/2016)

What? BOL wrong? Again? :hehe::hehe:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Orlando Colamatteo (2/26/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/26/2016)

BOL does note this will return an error, but the "E" in the chart is very misleading. I'd say this is one of the poorer documentation efforts to not just put the "rror" in the chart.

Agreed. The article could definitely be improved.

Strong second on that here.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

It could be improved, but even as it stands I don't think a claim that it's misleading is reasonable. Before the chart the possible results and listed; E isn't one of them, so it's already clear that E in the chart doesn't mean the character E; and the after the chart it's clearly stated that"E" in the chart means the result is an error, just in case anyone was half asleep and didn't notice that a single character E was not one of the possible outcomes listed above the chart. Yes, it would be nice to have "Error" in the chart instead of "E" but that's a lot less important than fixing some of the many places where BOL is just plain absolutely wrong.

Of course one might want to ask what clown determined that conversion to nvarchar should throw an error in cases where conversion to varchar returns '*'. It really seems crazy. But I suspect that the answer would probably be that an ANSI or ISO working group did it for their "national character varying" type (or maybe for a WVARCHAR or "wide character varying" type in the bad old days) and Microsoft was effectively stuck with it for compatability.

Tom

• Yeah, I tend to go with a very literal interpretation. As has been pointed out, a simple Error in the table would have helped. I can see how it refers to a note, but it would have still been simpler to finish the word in the table.

• I'll disgree with you, Tom. The reason is this, and this is what I missed at first.

The top of the chart has an * for the first few entries. This often indicates a footnote, which is fine. I looked down and saw an * below the chart. Then I saw the E for the problem I experienced, and convention would have the E =, below the *, not as a part of that footnote. In glancing at this, I thought E was being returned.

In my experience, with the convention in many publications, we should see.

</table>

* = the value is too long.

E = an error

Though rather than E in the chart, since space is not an issue, it should just say error, lower case.

I'll disgree with you, Tom. The reason is this, and this is what I missed at first.

The top of the chart has an * for the first few entries. This often indicates a footnote, which is fine. I looked down and saw an * below the chart. Then I saw the E for the problem I experienced, and convention would have the E =, below the *, not as a part of that footnote. In glancing at this, I thought E was being returned.

</table>

E = an error

Though rather than E in the chart, since space is not an issue, it should just say error, lower case.

I initially thought the BOL entry was fairly clear, but I'm now thinking it has some annoying features.

They use E in the table, and then below the table say that E= an error is returned. That's fair, and pretty clearly indicates that it's not a literal 'E' that is returned. However, they do the same thing for *; they say *= the value is too long, but this time '*' is also the literal value returned, which means E= and *= are treated in opposite ways.

For E=, it's what the table value represents that is returned, while for *= it is the table value that is returned, not what it represents.

If you already know that one returns a '*' and one results in an error it's easy to gloss over, but it is certainly is not a stellar example of documentation 🙂

• Jacob Wilkins (2/26/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/26/2016)

I'll disgree with you, Tom. The reason is this, and this is what I missed at first.

</table>

E = an error

I initially thought the BOL entry was fairly clear, but I'm now thinking it has some annoying features.

They use E in the table, and then below the table say that E= an error is returned. That's fair, and pretty clearly indicates that it's not a literal 'E' that is returned. However, they do the same thing for *; they say *= the value is too long, but this time '*' is also the literal value returned, which means E= and *= are treated in opposite ways.

For E=, it's what the table value represents that is returned, while for *= it is the table value that is returned, not what it represents.

If you already know that one returns a '*' and one results in an error it's easy to gloss over, but it is certainly is not a stellar example of documentation 🙂

I don't believe it's completely useless. If nothing else, it's a stellar example of what not to do. 😛

• Ed Wagner (2/26/2016)

Yeah, I tend to go with a very literal interpretation. As has been pointed out, a simple Error in the table would have helped. I can see how it refers to a note, but it would have still been simpler to finish the word in the table.

Heh... I wonder if that would lead some people who don't read all the documentation for a given thing to think that it would return the word "Error". 😛

I do have to admit that since it returns an "*" in one case, one would easily assume an "E" would be returned in the others. Even the legend under the chart could confuse some that might just take the word of the chart instead of doing an actual test for clarification (especially if it's the first time they were to use such a thing).

What's really aggravating to me is the fact that there are two different possibilities that can be returned during a "too short" conversion. It would be nice if they either returned a "*" consistently or an error consistently. I'd personally prefer the non-error-prone "*" because that would make it really easy to quickly isolate the offending value. Of course, I suppose you could use TRY_CONVERT for such a thing but it seems more complex than just looking for an "*".

Even better would be an "*" returned along with a non-fatal advisory message kind of like you get when you have NULLs in a column that you're trying to aggregate.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply