CASE statement and partition by

• Hello everyone,

I have a question if someone may know how to adjust the code correctly.

I need just to edit the last outer SELECT statement.

I need to change the partition by DMDUNIT, I need  outer CASE statement to look at 2 columns:

1) Start Date - if we have 3 distinct weeks worth of data. If yes look at 2) Issues - If we have 3 issues there then return in this column '3INARow' - "Yes".

Examples: no issues in "Issues" - NO for all 3 in "3In A Row' if we have 3 issue in "Issues" and 3 weeks of data in "StartDate" - yes for all in '3In A Row" if we have 2 issues and 1 non issue - no for all in "3 In A Row' -it should look at Start Date and see if we have 3 separate weeks and later see issues (if we have 3 issues)

Issue1

Forecast and Actuals are separate CTEs that i didn't paste the code in here.

SELECT
    COALESCE(f.LOC, a.LOC) AS LOC,
    COALESCE(f.DMDUNIT, a.DMDUNIT) AS DMDUNIT,
    COALESCE(f.STARTDATE, a.DMDPostDate) AS "Start Date",
    SUM(F.TOTFCST) AS "Forecast",
    SUM(a.HistoryQuantity) AS "Actuals",
    SUM(ABS(a.HistoryQuantity) - f.TOTFCST) AS "Abs Error",
    (1 - (SUM(A.[HistoryQuantity]) - SUM(F.[TOTFCST])) / SUM(A.[HistoryQuantity])) as 'FA%',
    SUM(a.HistoryQuantity) / SUM(f.TOTFCST) AS "Bias"
    ,CASE WHEN SUM(F.[TOTFCST]) > SUM(A.[HistoryQuantity]) THEN 'Overforecasted'
    WHEN SUM(F.[TOTFCST]) < SUM(A.[HistoryQuantity]) THEN 'Underforecasted'
    WHEN SUM(A.[HistoryQuantity]) IS NULL AND SUM(F.[TOTFCST]) > 0 THEN 'Overforecasted'
    WHEN SUM(F.[TOTFCST]) IS NULL AND SUM(A.[HistoryQuantity]) > 0 THEN 'Underforecasted'
    WHEN SUM(F.[TOTFCST]) = 0.000 AND SUM(A.[HistoryQuantity]) IS NULL THEN 'No issue'

END AS 'Issue'
    FROM Forecast f FULL OUTER JOIN Actuals a
    ON f.LOC = a.LOC AND f.DMDUNIT = a.DMDUNIT AND f.STARTDATE = a.DMDPostDate
    WHERE f.DMDUNIT='086002053633'
    GROUP BY
    COALESCE(f.LOC, a.LOC),
    COALESCE(f.DMDUNIT, a.DMDUNIT),
    COALESCE(f.STARTDATE, a.DMDPostDate)

)
    select *,
    case when
    min(Issue) over (
    partition by DMDUNIT
    order by "Start Date" ) =
    max(Issue) over (
    partition by DMDUNIT
    order by "Start Date" ) and
    count(Issue) over (
    partition by DMDUNIT
    order by "Start Date" ) = 3

then 'No' else 'Yes' end as "3InARow"
    from Merged;
  • You'd evaluate "3 in a row" rule with something like

ThreeInARow = CASE WHEN columName = LAG([columnName],1) AND columName = LAG([columnName],2) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

• @pietlinden

I am not sure I understand.

I basically need

select *,

case when 'Issue' IN ('Overforecasted', 'Underforecasted') AND 'Start Date' DISTINCT 3 dates THEN 'Issue exists for 3 weeks in a row'

FROM Merged;

Do you know how it can be properly written?

• I basically need to write a SQL code for such a statement.

I know this is not a proper SQL statement, but I am trying to understand how it can be adjusted so that it fits the criteria.

When "Issue" IN ('Overforecasted', 'Underforecasted' AND there are 3 different dates in column "Start Date" (can be more than 3 weeks but should be at least 3 different dates) return "Issue exists for 3 weeks" in the column "3InARow"

select *,
    case when 'Issue' IN ('Overforecasted', 'Underforecasted') AND 'Start Date' DISTINCT 3 dates THEN 'Issue exists for 3 weeks in a row'
    FROM Merged;

Issue1

• When "Issue" IN ('Overforecasted', 'Underforecasted' AND there are 3 different dates in column "Start Date" (can be more than 3 weeks but should be at least 3 different dates) return "Issue exists for 3 weeks" in the column "3InARow"

Per one DMDUNIT check if it has 3 issues in column "Issues" and later check if it has 3 different start dates. If it has 3 issues ('Overforecasted', "Underforecasted") and 3 different dates for the same DMDUNIT I need to return it in a new column (end as "3InARow")

Issue1

select *,
    FROM Merged;
  • Each location with at least 3 different start dates.

SELECT loc
    FROM (VALUES ('SAMSCLUB.COM','2021-12-05',42110)
    ,('SAMSCLUB.COM','2021-12-12',11731)
    ,('SAMSCLUB.COM','2021-12-19',9886)) d(loc,StartDate,Forecast)
    GROUP BY loc
    HAVING COUNT(DISTINCT(d.StartDate)) >= 3;

loc column will contain all values for which the predicate is true. Then you can just join to that or use it as a filter...

SELECT [field list]
    FROM

WHERE loc IN (SELECT loc
    FROM (VALUES ('SAMSCLUB.COM','2021-12-05',42110)
    ,('SAMSCLUB.COM','2021-12-12',11731)
    ,('SAMSCLUB.COM','2021-12-19',9886)) d(loc,StartDate,Forecast)
    GROUP BY loc
    HAVING COUNT(DISTINCT(d.StartDate)) >= 3);
  • @pietlinden thank you.  I am really sorry for taking your time. It is pretty complex for me to  figure out how to use it in my query. In my first post i have posted my code, could you let me know how i need to arrange it with your code?

I am sure it must work but as an overall combination it sounds pretty difficult to understand for me.

• Please help us to help you. Read Jeff Moden's article "Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help", and follow the instructions outlined in the article. Then it will be a whole lot easier for everyone.

And who doesn't like tested solutions?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply