Career Goals and Inspiration

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Career Goals and Inspiration

• Glad you liked it. I come back to that Epic Life Quest every month to figure out what I need to do next.

Funny on the timing - we're in the midst of lining up long term residence & work permits for Iceland. It's looking like we're going to be able to get over there in early 2021 and spend 6-12 months over there, fingers crossed.

Gives us something to look forward to, and that's important these days.

• Ah, Steve, you've done it again. You've brought up a great, thought provoking question on a Friday. I love it. 🙂

I am, very sadly, one of those whose fallen into a role more often than landed one. I'm trying to turn that around and direct myself, rather than lose a job due to a layoff and must desperately look for another.

Yes, there's many people who have inspired me about their work. I'll admit, you, Steve, are one of them. I think I'm at a point in my career where I'd like to travel, meet with clients, and help instruct and train others. It has been my long-time desire to work from home. This coronavirus has let me do it and I'm totally loving it. Another thing I've heard of doing from one of the hosts of the MS Dev Show podcast, is traveling around the country in an RV, going to one job to the next. Although I guess what you do, Steve and this traveling around in an RV share many aspects, so I wouldn't have to do both.

On a humbler note, I want to work at a place where people care about what they do. They care that they make software and applications that users delight to use. The care about following good software design principles and UI/UX principles. I'd be happy to work at a place that does those things.

Rod

• At my stage of life (retirement age) I guess whatever my career is going to be has already happened. Since I am not good at social skills, and since I am not good at job interviews, I have had to take what I can get.

I shouldn't complain though. At a major university hospital I helped with programming for cancer treatment, and at my last job I was able to work from home for a long period while learning about SQL Server and .Net.

Most recently I have taken a job with a non-profit service agency that provides services for people with mental illness and other issues. I could make more at another job but the people I work with make it worthwhile. I didn't have a lot of options being of retirement age and not getting anywhere with interviews...

To give an idea of the kind of people I am working with: I am hearing the guy who works with seniors (for hoarding and other issues), singing and playing guitar over the phone for the ladies who are stuck in their homes due to COVID-19 lockdowns.

• Brent, I liked your Epic Life Quest as well. While raising my kids I always impressed upon them (or tried to) that setting goals and seeing them through was a very important part of life, and crucial to success in life, however you define your success. In my life achieving goals has been a methodical but very simple (and obvious) 3 step process. Figure out what you want to do, figure out how to do it, and then do it. If step 3 fails, which happens often, go back to #2 and figure out another way to do it, if it still seems like a viable goal. And then do it again the different way. If taken to completion these 3 simple steps never fail.

• Thanks! Over time, I've also figured out that after I try a goal a couple of times, sometimes it turns out that I actually don't want that goal anymore, hahaha.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Hello! Super!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply