Can''t get SQL Server to listen via TCP

• Hi All,

I recently started having TCP/IP problems with SQL Server 2000 running on XP.

It used to listen on port 1433, and I used to be able to connect with tcp/ip on that port.

I have even tried completely re-installing SQL Server, with no joy.

Even though TCP is configured, I can see from the Server Log that its only listening on named pipes and shared memory.

Any ideas?

• Can you check these settings using REGEDIT

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\[yourinstancename]\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp]

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\[yourinstancename]]

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Yep, it looks fairly normal:

TcpPort = 1433

TcpDynamicPorts = Empty

TcpHideFlag = 0

Other Key:

LoginMode = 1

ListenOn = SSMSSH70

SSNETLIB

DefaultLogon = guest

SetHostName = 0

I have since uninstalled (again) and re-installed, along with SP4. Now its listening on 0.0.0.0:1433 (which is expected), but when I attempt to connect with java over that port I get a SocketException:

com.jnetdirect.jsql.g: Failed Logon:com.jnetdirect.jsql.g: Proxy Error:java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: recv failed url:jdbc:JSQLConnect://127.0.0.1:1433/database=postilion_office/trustedAuthentication=true

Very painful 😉

• Perhaps Win Firewall or ZoneAlarm or similar blocking it? I also ran into this once when I had multiple instances on the box, configured multiple instances to listen to the same user defined port (not 1433) and only one would win that duel.

• Yep, I've had issues with Windows Firewall before. I have stopped the service as well as the anti-virus etc, and still am not having any joy. I have compared my registry settings with that of a test machine running W2k which works, and still haven't had any luck.

In the SQL Server Logs, I get one tell-tale error, which I'm not getting on the w2k box:

SuperSocket Info: Bind failed on TCP port 1433.

I've tried different ports, such as 2433, and still no luck.

• http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293107

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307197

Check out these links.

Also try this locally: Telnet "localhost" 1433 after stopping the Sql and sqlagent services. If you get a reply then there is some service using the port.

After stopping the AV-Services, Firewall services and SQL Service - try disable/enable the network card. Start SQL Server service.

Good luck

• what's the service pack level of of the SQL Server?? Later OS versions (w2k3 especially!) actually dont support SQL Server below a certain Service Pack level!!

• Hi All, thanks for all the help.

I had re-installed SQL Server a number of times, and tried applying sp3a and sp4 without any luck.

The most confusing thing was that even though SQL Server in the error log reported the following:  "SuperSocket Info: Bind failed on TCP port 1433.", that using netstat I could see that SQL Server was in fact listening on port 1433. I thought at first that this might be an alternative application, and stopped SQL Server, at which point nothing was listening on port 1433.

I tried other ports, checking both the client network utility and enterprise manager, and also read everything on the links that were posted here, without any joy.

After spending all day friday surfing newsgroups I finally stumbled upon the solution to my problem, and I think it has to do with the fact that I have Windows XP professional Sp2 running on my machine.

The problem was caused by a rogue LSP (Layered Service Provider) in the Winsock TCP/IP stack. I managed quickly to verify which entry should not have been there, since it was the only listed DLL that didn't exist on my machine.

The LSPs that I left fully intact are as follows:

• winrnr.dll - NTDS
    • mswsock.dll - Network Layer Awareness (NLA) Namespace
    • rsvpsp.dll - Protocol Handler

I used the following tool to remove rogue LSPs: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Thanks again for all your time and help, it helped keep me sane and my laptop firmly attached to the desk

• Thanks for the followup!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply