Cannot remotely connect to sql server cluster with cluster name, works with virtual ip, 1433.

• Hi,

Able to access SQL Server cluster with "virtual IP,1433" from a remote application server.

But it fails with the error "Server does not exist" when tried with "SQL Server Cliuster Name".

Can someone please guide me what could be the issue. ?

Note :- Only one default instance.

Thanks in advance.

San.

• Can you resolve the server name?

nslookup servername

Can you ping the server name?

ping servername

Can you connect to the server on port 1433? (Download portqry from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17148)

portqry -n servername -p TCP -E 1433

-- Gianluca Sartori

• What Gianluca is referring to is the application server not knowing the DNS name of the virtual IP. Depending on your permissions, you might have to get the network team involved to define it on the application server.

Edit: Gianluca, I'm on my way to check out the portqry now. Thanks. 😉

• Joy Smith San (6/25/2015)

Hi,

Able to access SQL Server cluster with "virtual IP,1433" from a remote application server.

But it fails with the error "Server does not exist" when tried with "SQL Server Cliuster Name".

Can someone please guide me what could be the issue. ?

Note :- Only one default instance.

Thanks in advance.

San.

Sounds like a DNS issue, get your network admin to check DNS records for the VNN.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Were you able to connect earlier? Looks like DNS issue and work with network team to resolve the issue.

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• Hi All,

Thanks for the responses.

I will check with network team on this.

These are all new servers, so trying first time only.

I was able to ping the IP and telnet port 1433 and when tested connectivity it was not working with sql cluster name... but works with ip and port.

Let me check further, will keep u posted. Thanks again.

• Hi All,

Team informed DNS entry is correct.

I checked again and found it works fine when I put FQDN instead of just SQL cluster name.

Is it the expected behavior ? Is it proper to ask user to use FQDN instead of just SQL Server cluster name ?

🙂 Thanks.

• Sounds like it could be a couple of things. You responded earlier that you can ping the cluster IP but never stated whether or not you could ping using the NetBIOS name. Can you (and does the ping come back with the NetBIOS name or the DNS name)?

Are you using WINS in your environment? If so I would ensure that the entry there for the cluster name is correct.

If not using WINS are you using a local HOSTS file?

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• Joie Andrew (6/26/2015)

Sounds like it could be a couple of things. You responded earlier that you can ping the cluster IP but never stated whether or not you could ping using the NetBIOS name. Can you (and does the ping come back with the NetBIOS name or the DNS name)?

Are you using WINS in your environment? If so I would ensure that the entry there for the cluster name is correct.

If not using WINS are you using a local HOSTS file?

Hi Joie,

Things are pretty clear now. This application server is not in domain as of now.

NetBIOS is disabled.

For testing purpose, I made them to add entry in HOST file for cluster name and it works fine when added.

Thanks for your support.

• Glad you were able to get it working!

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply