Can you manipulate field names programmatically ?

• Greetings once again.

I am working on some sql to be used in a report. I have a transaction table called prtrxp. This table has about 100 fields. The fields I am currently interested in have names like de_code##1, de_code##2 all the way to de_code##18. Correspondlingly there are de_amt##1, de_amt##2 all the way to de_amt##18. I need to check each de_code## field to compre it to the string '401k'. I am trying to avoid 18 comparisions. What I was wondering, was if sql provided a way to do something like:

for i = 1 to 18 do

if de_code##i = '401k' then sum(de_amt##i)

anyway, thats the pseudo code. hopefully I am not going to be relegated to using a WHEN statement.

Thanks for any ideas.

• No. SQL doesn't do that. The reason is that tables really aren't supposed to be designed that way. The values should be in rows, not columns.

Since you're probably stuck with that design, you're going to have to do a Case When.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I would look into using pivot and unpibvot functions. You could unpivot the data so you only need to compare 1 column to the string.

Once you compare you can filter the data and the pivot it back out.

ps. this is a little easier to pick up on in ssis components than it is t-sql, but both work well and are cleaner then case statements

• darryl (6/12/2009)

Greetings once again.

I am working on some sql to be used in a report. I have a transaction table called prtrxp. This table has about 100 fields. The fields I am currently interested in have names like de_code##1, de_code##2 all the way to de_code##18. Correspondlingly there are de_amt##1, de_amt##2 all the way to de_amt##18. I need to check each de_code## field to compre it to the string '401k'. I am trying to avoid 18 comparisions. What I was wondering, was if sql provided a way to do something like:

for i = 1 to 18 do

if de_code##i = '401k' then sum(de_amt##i)

anyway, thats the pseudo code. hopefully I am not going to be relegated to using a WHEN statement.

Thanks for any ideas.

If you were to generate the table creation script and attach it to a post, I believe I might be able to show you a simple way that would even handle missing columns.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Unpivot doesn't work, because you have two series of columns, which should be unpivoted.

The following isn't nice, but it should do.

create table #tmp(

ID int

, DeCode nvarchar(10)

, SumDeAmt int

)

declare @SQLTemplate nvarchar(max)

set @SQLTemplate='

insert into #tmp (id,DeCode,SumDeAmt)

select ID, ''de_code{##}'' as de_code, SUM(de_amt{##}) as SumDeAmt

from prtrxp

where de_code{##}=''401k''

group by ID

'

declare @SQLCommand nvarchar(max)

declare @loopVar int

set @loopVar=1

while @loopVar<=18

begin

select @SQLCommand=REPLACE(@SQLTemplate,'{##}',CONVERT(nvarchar(10),@loopVar))

exec @SQLCommand

set @loopVar=@loopVar+1

end

select * from #tmp

drop table #tmp

Age2uN

devloping robust and performant databaseapplications with Microsoft SQL-Server

• if the 2 series of columns have the same number of occurerences then that would be perfect for an SSIS unpivot task

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply