Can we install SQL server 2012/2014 in VM without purchasing SA ?

• Hi All,

Anyone is aware, if we need to have Software Assurance (SA) purchased to install SQL server 2014 in VM ?

Can we install SQL server 2012/2014 in VM without purchasing SA ?

Not at all familiar with licensing. Kindly let me know f anyone is aware about license part.

Thanks,

San.

• If you have the licenses to cover the cores in use then yes.

SA gives a bunch of different features like a single passive failover node, upgrades etc.

But as long as you have licenses doesn't matter if you have SA as long as you have licensed everything correctly.

• Thanks Anthony.

• Not sure if this applies in you case, but SA also gives you mobility rights. If you have the VM running on one physical host and wish to move it to another physical host (either manually, or due to a host failure), then you will not be able to move it back or to another host for 90 days I think. This only applies if you're running the VM in a cluster of physical hosts. We use SA for this reason, so that we can always have the SQL VM running on the most up to date, quickest physical host and can move it around for maintenance etc.

• Additionally if you do not have no SA you always have to licence the newest version

In your example SQL 2012 + 2014 you need a Licence SQL 2014 or greater

What pitfalls await with virualisation I cannot measure but I got the impression that MS is pushing hard so that the full flexiblity and spectrum you can only use with SA.

Here you find a little documentation about VM and SQL Server Licencing

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/d/4/3d42bdc2-6725-4b29-b75a-a5b04179958b/microsoftservervirtualization_licensemobility_vlbrief.pdf

• Maddave (11/2/2015)

Not sure if this applies in you case, but SA also gives you mobility rights. If you have the VM running on one physical host and wish to move it to another physical host (either manually, or due to a host failure), then you will not be able to move it back or to another host for 90 days I think. This only applies if you're running the VM in a cluster of physical hosts. We use SA for this reason, so that we can always have the SQL VM running on the most up to date, quickest physical host and can move it around for maintenance etc.

Thanks a lot Maddave and Christian.

My doubts are pretty much clarified now. The environment here is exactly as the above.

Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply