Can multiple apache web services hit a single sql database?

• HI all,

there is to be some software installed on about 230 laptops with apache web services running on each of these machines. they will connect via wifi to my sql server and I am being asked if 230 apache web servcies trying to connect to sql could pose a problem.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated !

Juanita

• could be fine - as long as they don't pop open more than a couple of connections each at any one time.

any idea how many connections your server can sustain before it falls apart?

Oh - and of course - as long as the application and connections are being used sensibly... if they aren't even a small handfull can be too many! :w00t:

• HI.. Well I don't know how many connections till our sql server breaks but it hasn't happened yet. I have also been told these connections will come in with the same userid. Should that pose a problem? Is there a limit to how many connections you can have to a sql server instance?

Thanks,

Juanita

• I am not sure of any hard and fast rules, though I am sure they exist! Check with sp_configure to make sure you haven't got it limited to a few dozen. Most servers I have used tend to cope with 600 fine - but if it goes over 1000 they are on their knees - but this may be down to what those connections are up to.

If anyone does have a rule of thumb based on available memory or whatever I would love to hear it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply