Can I specify network directory to store the backup file?

• Hi there,

Im a kind of newbies, please suggestion.

I backup my database everyday by using 'default directory' option to store the backup files. I wondor that if my harddisk crash what should I do then I try to use the other option which is 'use this directory' and specify directory to other computer. But it seem does not work or cannot do that. I also map network drive but when I browse to point the directory, sql server cannot see the map drive but only normal drive (drive c).

Actually can we do that? and How?

Thank you in advance.

Uma

• Just type in the URL of the network directory.

• either that or setup a backup device as a network location and use that.

• Remember to grant access to the network share to the SQL Server Agent account.  (I'm assuming that you have your backups set to run as a job).  For redundancy, I back up to a local drive first and then copy that file to the network share.  Also, remember to test your backup periodically, as a backup that can not be restored is not really a backup.

Marvin Dillard
    Senior Consultant
    Claraview Inc

• One other key point is your SQL Server Agent Service should be running as a domain account, not as local service and not as a local account AND the target location for backup files is on the domain and the domain account has permission to write.

• I will suggest to protect this share, only allow permission to SQL service account and DBA +(some admins if you want).

Because the backups are not really protected anyone with SQL server at home will be able to restore it and probably access data and structure.

We never know!!!

And imagine when your backup are in transit or someone let a tape hang on his desk!!! (Do I paranoid) ???

Best Regards,

David, MCAD.NET

• Thank you very much for all replies.

Umm could u please suggest me more about how to set the sql server agent or sql server account permission to backup to network drive?

Thank you in advance,

Uma

• Nothing special,

Set SQL server to run under a domain account, an account with less permission as possible on the network (nothing is the best). Then grant access wherever you need to write or read.

Grant only permission to the new SQL account and DBA users.

+ Anyone you judge acceptable.

Do exactly the same for SQL Agent. (You can use the same account)

Put this account in the sysadmin server role.

And I'd remove BuiltIn\administrator and any local user.

Add your "DBA" users individually as sysadmin on the server.

(Some people use groups for DBA but if someone have access to AD and add his name in that group! you know the result)

But this it not related to backup, but it's a good practice.

If anyone wants to correct or add something, fell free!

Best Regards,

David, MCAD.NET

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply