Can a clustered server backup to unc

• my storage people want me to backup my databases to a unc path. Is this possible? Thank u.

• Yes, it's possible.  Do you have any reason for suspecting that it isn't?

John

• 100 % you can - all you have to do is make sure the unc path has the correct permissions for the account that is running the backup (normally the sql agent account)

we back up to a UNC path on our network and it works fine

also if you are using Redgate SQL backup there is an option to backup locally and copy it to a UNC path afterwards (although you can do this equally well with xp_cmdshell 'copy *.bak \\uncpath'  type of command - not recommended though as that means you have to enable xp_cmdshell

if you want to script it then it looks like this

BACKUP DATABASE [mydb] TO  DISK = N'\\myserver\myfolder\mydb.bak' WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT,  NAME = N'mydb-Full Database Backup', SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD,  STATS = 10

MVDBA

• MVDBA is spot on but I'll add that you MUST backup to a different physical machine than where your database files live.  If backup compression is available, definitely use it and make sure the "pipe" between your database machine and your backup repository machine is nasty fast and, possibly, a dedicated line with no other traffic on it.

And, yes... DO take tape backups and get them well offsite as soon as possible.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks Gents, you've been super helpful.

🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply