Calculate last friday date with timestamp ssis

• hello,

i want to calculate last friday’s date in ssis with timestamp. Below gives me only date. Can u help?

DATEADD("dd", -1 - (DATEPART("dw", getdate()) % 7), getdate())

Also 2) i want to find last friday until 3 pm.

How to do that?? Thanks a lot

• Your expression returns a datetime, as can be seen below:

2019-06-13_17-28-04

"Also 2) i want to find last friday until 3 pm." This makes no sense to me, can you clarify, please? Ideally with two or three examples.

This date is also not Friday!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Phil Parkin. Reason: Additional text

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks Phil.

I have to fetch data only until friday 5 pm. So this expression gives me last friday( i need to remove -1 from my expression) with current timestamp but i want until 5 pm only. I hope u understand now. How to achieve that?? Thanks.

• So you want an expression which returns a datetime of 5pm last Friday, is that it?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Yeah. Thats correct Phil.

• -- SV: For understanding getdate() and things you need
    select SYSDATETIME() as sysdatetime_FYI
    , getdate() as getdate_FYI
    , cast(getdate() as time) as getdate_TimeOnly
    , CONVERT(varchar(15), cast(getdate() as time),100) as getdate_TimeOnly_AMPM
    , DATEPART(HOUR, GETDATE())
    , DATEPART(WEEKDAY, GETDATE())

-- SV: Your answer
    SELECT
    getdate() as getdate_FYI
    CASE
    WHEN DATEPART(WEEKDAY, GETDATE()) > 5 -- Friday
    AND DATEPART(HOUR, GETDATE()) > 17
    THEN
    DATEADD( HOUR, 17,
    DATEADD(DAY, +4, DATEADD(WEEK, DATEDIFF(WEEK, 0, getdate()), 0))
    )
    ELSE
    DATEADD( HOUR, 17,
    DATEADD(DAY, -3, DATEADD(WEEK, DATEDIFF(WEEK, 0, getdate()), 0))
    )
    END YourAnswer
    , DATEADD( HOUR, 17,
    ) ThisWeekFriday_5PM
    , DATEADD( HOUR, 17,
    ) LastWeekFriday_5PM
  • Thanks Sreedhar but this is T-SQL Way of doing it and I want it as SSIS expression way.

• sorry, Let me provide the SSIS ... I took your code and below article and come up with this, for Last Friday exact 5 pm:

DATEADD("HH",17,(DT_DBTIMESTAMP)((DT_STR,30,1252)(DT_DBDATE)(DATEADD("dd", -1 - (DATEPART("dw", getdate()) % 7), getdate()))))

clue: DATEPART("dw",GETDATE()) and went till to get the date and then added the hours.

Please check whether this helps ...

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21704652/ssis-expression-for-date-of-previous-friday

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  v_sreedhar.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  v_sreedhar.
  • v_sreedhar wrote:

-- SV: For understanding getdate() and things you need
    select SYSDATETIME() as sysdatetime_FYI
    , getdate() as getdate_FYI
    , cast(getdate() as time) as getdate_TimeOnly
    , CONVERT(varchar(15), cast(getdate() as time),100) as getdate_TimeOnly_AMPM
    , DATEPART(HOUR, GETDATE())
    , DATEPART(WEEKDAY, GETDATE())

-- SV: Your answer
    SELECT
    getdate() as getdate_FYI
    CASE
    WHEN DATEPART(WEEKDAY, GETDATE()) > 5 -- Friday
    AND DATEPART(HOUR, GETDATE()) > 17
    THEN
    DATEADD( HOUR, 17,
    )
    ELSE
    DATEADD( HOUR, 17,
    )
    END YourAnswer
    , DATEADD( HOUR, 17,
    ) ThisWeekFriday_5PM
    , DATEADD( HOUR, 17,
    ) LastWeekFriday_5PM

Consider the following along with the fact that there is no reliance of the possibly changed "Weekday" value returned by SQL Server:

--===== Find the previous (or current if "today") Friday at 5PM.
    SELECT DATEADD(dd,DATEDIFF(dd,4,GETDATE())/7*7,4)+'5:00PM';

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks Sreedhar... Ur expression works but the variable has datetime datatype so it converts it to 6/7/2019 5:00:00 PM format rather than 2019-06-07 17:00:00.000.  Anyway Thanks for all ur help so far. Thanks

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  dallas13.
  • dallas13 wrote:

Thanks Sreedhar... Ur expression works but the variable has datetime datatype so it converts it to 6/7/2019 5:00:00 PM format rather than 2019-06-07 17:00:00.000.  Anyway Thanks for all ur help so far. Thanks

I don't know SSIS to any great extent.  In fact, my job in the past has been to replace SSIS packages with stored procedures and other T-SQL.

That, notwithstanding, take a look at the formula that I posted to do this in T-SQL.  I'm sure that you can easily modify it for use in SSIS.  If it doesn't allow direct addition of time, as I did in the formula, just add it like you would in SSIS.  The key is that it accurately finds the previous Friday with the understanding that if "today" is a Friday, it will return "today".

As for formatting the output, that should be done after the formula has resolved.  In T-SQL, the CONVERT function does this rather well.  Surely SSIS also has such a formatting function.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Thanks, Jeff. The date processing capabilities in T-SQL are significantly more powerful than those built in to SSIS (though, of course, SSIS has native access to .NET libraries through C# and VB.NET, making most things possible with a little bit of code).

In this case, v_sreedhar's expression is about as good as it gets, and that's really not very good at all, given the relative simplicity of the request (and its solution in T-SQL).

As a result of the expression's complexity, for the sake of future maintenance, I would probably either

1. Use T-SQL to do it, if other SQL Server operations are being performed by the package, or
    2. Do it in C#

• Yowch.  Thanks for the info, Phil.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• This is a case where I would use C# in a script task to set variables - instead of trying to build it as an SSIS expression.  The C# code can be done in a single line:

Dts.Variables["User::LastFriday"].Value = DateTime.Today.AddDays(-(int)(DateTime.Today.AddDays(-5).DayOfWeek)).Date.AddHours(17);

It also depends on what the package is doing...and whether or not I have to connect to SQL Server for other configuration values.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

It also depends on what the package is doing...and whether or not I have to connect to SQL Server for other configuration values.

That same thought is usually the justification I use to convert SSIS packages to stored procedures. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply