But we've always done it that way…

• Eric M Russell (8/4/2015)

xsevensinzx (8/4/2015)

Grant Fritchey (8/4/2015)

xsevensinzx (8/3/2015)

In my years working in software development from a marketing perspective, the right way always seems a bit too subjective from the people who are advocating change. That doesn't mean it's not subjective if you truly sit down and think about it. The problem is how it's delivered and sold.

At the end of the day, I've come to the understanding that even from a non-software development position, I could point out a dozen of those "but we've always done it that way" examples that are hindering the development, the product and so forth.

It doesn't matter what I or others would say, it's simply hard as hell to get change. And based on my experience, it's pretty common and mostly attributed to the fact it's easier going in the (bad) direction you already going rather than stopping, considering a new direction and heading into the direction just as quickly as you were before.

That is very true. It's much easier to continue down the path you're on. But that doesn't make it the right decision. Again, I really don't mean to argue for change just so that we can see change occur. If you're in a position of pain, why not move out of that position?

I can tell you that in my and my co-workers cases, we found it difficult to leave. This is mainly because the company was making video games and there were few to no other game companies really in the entire country. It's one thing to move across country for work, it's another to move out the country.

Outside of that, the industry is very competitive. When you finally get in, it's not as easy to just move. This isn't the same as me working in multiple industries within my city as a SQL Server guy. The industry is limited and therefore, you have to put up with the bad way of doing things much more than you would want.

So, it's easier said than done to point out all the stuff we want to change in any company. It's not so easy making that happen in the areas I've experienced let alone just pick up and leave when they don't make those changes happen.

Consider yourself lucky if you have the option to just pick up and leave for another job in your area let alone your country.

Perhaps you're in the wrong industry. It seems a lot of us here are having existential thoughts about our careers the last couple of years.

Aye, I'm not in that industry anymore personally. Just saying in general. A lot of the reason I think the "we always have done it this way." exists is because people can't get the change to happen and really, there is no other option but to accept it and continue doing what has always been done.

In my current role, I am the subject matter expert as a tech resource (versus a marketing resource in the previous industry). I have that power to lead the way and the only fault would be my own fault, which is the way it should be. 😉

• I know that it may sound odd but sometimes the process of getting a processed changed is the hardest part. People agree that change is required and even agree on the change in the main, however, to get that change implemented as prescribed (and not subverted beyond belief) can be the hardest of ventures.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Wayne West (8/3/2015)

Fast/Cheap/Correct: choose two.

Also, bear in mind, if you fail to choose Correct, you can forget about the other two as well.

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• andrew gothard (3/14/2016)

Wayne West (8/3/2015)

Also, bear in mind, if you fail to choose Correct, you can forget about the other two as well.

As Tom Tompson once said, always choose "Correct" and the other two will follow.

I actually hate the ol' fast/cheap/correct saying... It's usually just a pre-excuse for doing something wrong. :sick:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (3/14/2016)

andrew gothard (3/14/2016)

Wayne West (8/3/2015)

As Tom Tompson once said, always choose "Correct" and the other two will follow.

I actually hate the ol' fast/cheap/correct saying... It's usually just a pre-excuse for doing something wrong. :sick:

Yes, I believe that the IT industry has evolved to the point where there is a fast + cheap + correct solution for most any routine task. If you find your team dicking around too long or going broke with the basic foundational stuff like backups, SQL coding, or data visualization, then you've probably got the wrong people working on it.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (3/14/2016)

Jeff Moden (3/14/2016)

andrew gothard (3/14/2016)

Wayne West (8/3/2015)

Yes, I believe that the IT industry has evolved to the point where there is a fast + cheap + correct solution for most any routine task. If you find your team dicking around too long or going broke with the basic foundational stuff like backups, SQL coding, or data visualization, then you've probably got the wrong people working on it.

Maybe because you're not willing to pay the good people what they deserve, so not cheap. Although, doing things wrong and slow will be more expensive eventually.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply