Burned Out?

• I used to play in a band, but it's too much of a commitment with kids, exercise, etc. However I enjoy music and one thing that's been fun is to crank up Rock Band and sing poorly and bang buttons on the fake guitar.

• Jack Corbett (11/15/2010)

So how do you handle it when you feel a bit burned out/overwhelmed?

Without looking at the other posts first, I'd say you need to do three things...

1. Get some sleep. Sleep depravation is the first step to any failure.

2. Make a plan for whatever your working on that burned you out.

3. Without going back into the sleep-depravation-mode, follow your plan and get the job done in the "peel-one-potato-at-a-time" mode. If you need to peel more than one potato at a time, get someone to help because one person just can't do it all without going through sleep depravation.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Okay folks, thanks for all the insights. I think everyone had something positive to offer. I'll share that I feel like I am coming out of it. Here's what I've done that seems to have helped:

1. Posted it here. Essentially I acknowledged I was having and issue and having friends respond definitely helps.

2. Started getting more exercise. I'm taking short walks before I go to work and at lunch. Just getting out in the sun and fresh air helps, not to mention just being a healthy thing to do.

3. Talked with my boss. Essentially the main source of stress right now is that I have to make a decision about my future in the next few months. I am committed to my current position through June 2011 and I have to decide if I (and my family) want to continue with this organization or move on. I let him know what we were are currently thinking.

4. Got a little more sleep.

5. Checked of a couple of items from my to-do list.

I definitely think it starts with the simple things like diet, sleep, and exercise. If those get out of whack then you other things tend to go badly. My pastor uses the following acrostic that I think helps. You start with "Never get too:"

Hungry

Angry

Lonely

Tired

I know I need to watch all of those, especially the last 2.

I did start a blog post with more details that I have not had a chance to finish that I debate on finishing because it is more personal, but I think if I share some of what I'm doing to try to get out of the doldrums it will have some positive results as well.

Thanks again.

• You're welcome.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I spent a couple of years in at a company working ridiculous hours - for the last 3 months I was IT manager (+ two other jobs that I couldn't get rid of - you would have thought I would have had some power) getting home about midnight and leaving again about 6:30.

Had to stop driving as it was getting too dangerous.

Was only making progress at w/ends - everything else was firefighting.

When I said I needed a holiday the ceo suggested I take a w/end off.

People were making a book on when I would have a nervous breakdown (or already had one)

Eventually succeeded in resigning at the third attempt. Took me a couiple of years to recover (if I ever did).

Now I make sure I never do that sort of thing for more than a week. It's amazing how people notice when things don't get done rather and don't worry so much when they are just told it's going to happen.

Was at a company recently and was keeping the system running at w/ends so that reports were available on Tuesday (wasn't much time of effort) - I kept saying what needed to be done to fix the issue (another system). I then stopped working at w/ends and after two weeks of reports being late they implemented the fixes. In retrospect the work I was doing to help the department meet its sla was actually bad for the company as it meant simple improvements to other systems didn't get implemented - and this was having other kock on effects.

Cursors never.
    DTS - only when needed and never to control.

• I'll be looking forward to that blog post.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hi

Have a cup of tea & relax for 10 minutes..It works..!!

• Junglee_George (12/2/2010)

Hi

Pffftttt.....You must not be in the IT arena. Seems more like HR or accounting.....more like HR - let's get all warm and fuzzy!.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Junglee_George (12/2/2010)

Hi

What are you putting in that tea?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• tosscrosby (12/2/2010)

Junglee_George (12/2/2010)

Hi

Pffftttt.....You must not be in the IT arena. Seems more like HR or accounting.....more like HR - let's get all warm and fuzzy!.

ROTFLMAO!!! :hehe:

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• tosscrosby (12/2/2010)

Hi

A cup of tea is just fine on a cold day. As long as you have the right mixture with sugar and Rum. 😀 On a 2nd thought: you don't really need sugar or tea for it :hehe:

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• For those not on twitter and who don't have my blog in their feed reader (shame on you!), here's the blog post I mentioned, http://goo.gl/fb/FviPR

• Ray K (12/2/2010)

tosscrosby (12/2/2010)

Hi

ROTFLMAO!!! :hehe:

Agreed

Learn Extended Events

• Jack Corbett (12/2/2010)

For those not on twitter and who don't have my blog in their feed reader (shame on you!), here's the blog post I mentioned, http://goo.gl/fb/FviPR

I am going to re-apply some of those principles as I try to correct my own burn-out.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (12/2/2010)

Jack Corbett (12/2/2010)

For those not on twitter and who don't have my blog in their feed reader (shame on you!), here's the blog post I mentioned, http://goo.gl/fb/FviPR

I am going to re-apply some of those principles as I try to correct my own burn-out.

Might take a look too. After 18 months of a two hour each way commute I'm too knackered most nights to crack open a beer.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply