Burned Out?

• Tough question and some good advice. Definitely a change of scenery helps - any change such as the walk suggested by Gus could help. That reminds me, I need to go for a walk.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Try to get some (mental or physical) distance between you and the stuff that overwhelmes you.

Keep in mind that it's still YOU who controls those things. Set priorities based on YOUR criteria, not letting others take control.

Try to get a day or two off and do something totally different than usual: Spend a day all by yourself and go fishing, hiking or get yourself a wellness day. Visit some friends you haven't seen for a while. Whatever you do: it's time to take care of yourself, not others.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• I find getting away for a weekend helps me quite a bit.

No computer, no cell phone, no schedule, no TV.

A walk though the woods, a bonfire, and a beer.

As you can probably tell, boat rides and maybe a bit of fishing also help.

Reality - it's Monday, and I am back and feeling burned out already.

Guess I needed to stretch my weekend out a bit more.

Greg E

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/15/2010)

Is this short term burnout or long term? Meaning is this a few days or weeks of a tough project or are you questioning the entire job/career?

If it's the former, Gus has good advice each day. I'd take a couple walks a day, just get away from the office. I'd also say that you ought to work less hours. No matter what, going over 40 is going to make you much, much, less productive.

At the same time, I'd say when you sit down in front of the computer, double down and focus on what needs to be done, not what you want to do, and work on it, with the idea that in 90 minutes, you'll stand up and move away for 15 minutes.

If it's long term, sit down with your mentors, your family, the people that matter in your life and do serious soul searching. Think about what is really important to you. Then build a "get there from here" plan. Sometimes adjusting your attitude, or seeing and end to the current situation can help you.

I'd say it is a combination of both, plus just some tough times with the family(well, for us, compared to others I know they aren't that bad).

Planning is a weakness I'm working on too..

• GSquared (11/15/2010)

Take a walk around the block and look at the scenery for burnout. Trust me, it works. Sometimes takes a few laps.

On overwhelm, pick something that you can do that will get something done. Doesn't matter if it's "the" right thing to do first, just get some small piece handled. Then pick another piece, and handle that. Peck away at it, one piece at a time, and don't let the chaos intrude. It's called picking a stable datum, and it works. It's based on military and emergency work principles.

If you want more details, there's a personal efficiency course I can recommend that covers these and a few other things pretty well. Takes about 2 hours, costs $50. Up to you if you're interested enough to make it worth your while. I know it's available in Orlando, but I don't know the address or schedule, but can find out both pretty easily if you want.

Definitely be interested in learning more about the course. If you have a title I can find it. You can post it here, PM me, or you have my email.

• There's a few burnouts, I think I've ran into all of them. (No, these aren't in your psych 101 class, either, just my take on 'em).

The worst for me is emotional burnout. You're so busy doing ten million things you realize you haven't called your best friend in 6 months and your girlfriend no longer remembers if you prefer meat sauce on the Italian food. Then you look ahead to everything you still need to do and just can't find the time it's going to take to fix all that.

Then there's intellectual burnout. Like at the end of the day, when you're seriously thinking 'My brain's full, I'm going home.'... and you do that at 8AM.

Add to this pressure burnout of deadlines, requirements, priorities, and trying to do everything you need to at your job.

First problem is to figure out what you're burnt out on. Next is to deal with it. Everything cannot take first priority in your life. It just doesn't work. When you start revving the engine up that high is when I find I hit burnout the fastest.

My fix is a bit of a knotted rope, which has worked well for me over the years until my contracts start to run really long (2+ years). As a consultant, the 1-3 months between positions alleviates the pressure burnout, I play intense but intellectually unchallenging video games, paint models, or go drink and play pool (which take the intellect of a thimble, though a lot of focus) to unwind the brain, and make sure my family comes first with friends a close second so I don't lose touch like that again.

Now, just need to find a new girlfriend who actually CARES what sauce I like, rather than am I buying dinner. πŸ˜›

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (11/15/2010)

As a consultant, the 1-3 months between positions alleviates the pressure burnout, I play intense but intellectually unchallenging video games, paint models, or go drink and play pool (which take the intellect of a thimble, though a lot of focus) to unwind the brain, and make sure my family comes first with friends a close second so I don't lose touch like that again.

What kind of models?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (11/15/2010)

What kind of models?

I'm a geek... Warhammer40k. πŸ˜€ (The Tyrannid shall EAT you!)

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

your girlfriend no longer remembers if you prefer meat sauce on the Italian food.

Now, just need to find a new girlfriend who actually CARES what sauce I like, rather than am I buying dinner. πŸ˜›

My fix is ... to ... paint models

You sure the problem isn't your painting? :w00t:

(ducking and running) :hehe:

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Stefan Krzywicki (11/15/2010)

What kind of models?

I'm a geek... Warhammer40k. πŸ˜€ (The Tyrannid shall EAT you!)

Awesome. That's the kind I was hoping. Well, wargaming minis instead of model cars that is. I have a ton of Warhammer stuff, but I've never gotten around to painting it. Most of the painting I've done has been Clan Wars and Flames of War.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• WayneS (11/15/2010)

Craig Farrell (11/15/2010)

your girlfriend no longer remembers if you prefer meat sauce on the Italian food.

Nah - the painting has other fringe benefits.

(now I will duck and run too :hehe: )

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Busy day today, so this'll be short 'n sweet, but I wanted to chime in with my $0.02.

I keep telling my wife that she has to get a hobby.

I'm a musician in my spare time. Among other things, I play in a large community symphonic band. This group is therapy for me. There have been several times where I've gone to rehearsal pissed off about something, and by the end of rehearsal, I'll have forgotten what it was that got me mad in the first place.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Jack Corbett (11/15/2010)

I was actually counting on the Summit to get me going.

Be careful. In Grant's case it may help, but in mine attending a conference just made things worse, way, way worse. Depends...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • CirquedeSQLeil (11/15/2010)

WayneS (11/15/2010)

Craig Farrell (11/15/2010)

Nah - the painting has other fringe benefits.

(now I will duck and run too :hehe: )

Be duck and running with you shortly here... That's fingerpainting, and while quite enjoyable and definately distracting, not exactly relaxing. Well, when done right. And with Chocolate.

- Craig Farrell

• WayneS (11/15/2010)

The last time I had a major burn out phase, it took over 6 months.

For me it was closer on 18 months, and I'm not sure it's over even now.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply