Bulk Insert how to skip column using format file

• I have a scenario were in a table has 5 columns, but data (CSV) file has 2 columns of data. Because the 1st column is an Identity column, 4th & 5th are having default constraint. So these columns don't need value from CSV. Please note CSV will always have all values (rows and columns in double quotes)

I tried to skip the 1st column by referring to this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/import-export/use-a-format-file-to-skip-a-table-column-sql-server?view=sql-server-2017  but seems I am missing something, because on executing bulk insert command I get an error: Cannot bulk load CSV file. Invalid terminator is specified for source column number 2 in the format file "C:\MyData\Demo1_Format.fmt". All source column terminators must be the same except the last one when CSV format is specified. Only row terminator should be different.

Update when I remove Format = 'CSV' parameter and keep format file as it is then it works. But I need the format parameter because it has several benefits like handling double quotes, line break, special characters issues within data. So can't I use both, format file to skip columns and format='CSV' parameters for handling data issues?

CREATE table dbo.test1
    (
    [UniqueID] [bigint] IDENTITY(1,1),
    [Id] char (1) NOT NULL,
    [Name] [varchar] (50) NOT NULL,
    [IsDelete] [tinyint] NULL DEFAULT 0,
    [Rootpid] VARCHAR(25)NULL CONSTRAINT defVal_RootPid_TEST1 DEFAULT '20190110035929_x9zh5'
    );

BULK INSERT dbo.test1 from 'C:\MyData\Demo1.csv'
    WITH (FORMAT = 'CSV', FIRSTROW = 2, FormatFile = 'C:\MyData\Demo1_Format.fmt')

Demo1_Format.fmt

1    SQLCHAR    0            0     "\""            0     ""       ""
    2    SQLCHAR    0    9999       "\",\""         2    Id         ""
    3    SQLCHAR    0    9999      "\"\r\n"          3    Name    ""

Demo1.csv

"Id","Name"
    "1","James"
    "2","Scott"

• While you may consider it to be an extra step (and it is), I never import directly into a final table anyway.  I always import into a staging table to do validations and then I'll insert into the final table.

Now, if you absolutely must insert into the final table directly, just create a view on the table with the columns you want and import into that instead.

As a bit of a sidebar, it's a real shame that they didn't take this improvement a bit farther.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply