Bulk Insert

• Hi all,

I have recently started a new job and have been tasked with running a Bulk Insert into a table (to save entering lines one at a time from the user interface).

It'll be my first attempt and wondered if there were things I needed to do before I go ahead and run the insert ie. remove and rebuild indexes, think about any triggers on the table etc??

Can someone help me with a Bulk Insert basics maybe???

thanks, spin.

• a little more imformation please

such as what type of file,how many records

• Have you read the Books Online Docs about bulk insert methods?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187042.aspx

If you are wanting to bulk insert from a C# application this blog entry might help...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nikhilsi/archive/2008/06/11/bulk-insert-into-sql-from-c-app.aspx

• I use bulk inserts only on tables with more than 10 million rows. SSIS handles the data import quite well I there is only 1 case where I use bulk inserts.

If you are talking about data which comes from a front end where the users would have captured it, I would think that the number of records are going to be only a few thouand a day? In this case bulk insert would be a total over kill and you lose the nice front end of SSIS.

If you really need to use bulk insert, I found that it sometimes is a bit of a shelp to get it 100% correct and running.:-D

Just to add, if you are adding only a few thousand records, keep the indexes and just do the bulk insert, there should be no problem with bulk insert even on a slow PC

• Thanks for the replies.

OK, yes i am only inserting a couple thousand rows at a time so BULK INSERT is overkill?

Do i need to spend months learning SSIS to set up the import that way as i've not really experimented with VS yet?? shall i just stick with the BULK INSERT?

Thanks, spin.

• For me personally, the bulk insert would be a bit of an overkill. I load daily data and somedays I would have to load upto a 10 million records, but even there I stay away from the bulk insert (for other reasons).

I prefer to keep all my packages the same; where ever possible and with in reason; and if I use the bulk insert for instance, I would document it well and give the test results, why I used something different from the my standard packages.

I do however use the bulk insert to export data from my database to a backup system on a daily basis. This is about 5 tables with each of a 10 miilion records. I found that SSIS with a data flow task is not that great with the export of the data over a linked server where as the bulk insert complete the same task in a few mins.

Also use what you know. If its bulk insert, then go for it.

And SSIS is actually very each to learn, there was 1 or 2 things that caught me in the beginning, but I've got a full data warehouse system running from SSIS & Stored procedures to do the more complex work, and a lot of it was on the job training in any case.

If you have knowledge of another ETL tool, then you'll find SSIS very easy.

• thanks

I am now getting stuck into SSIS 🙂

• george.frewin (2/18/2011)

thanks

I am now getting stuck into SSIS 🙂

To put a different slant on it, I think that SSIS is overkill. 😉 A nice, short, sweet BULK INSERT does the job well for any size import.

Regardless of what you use, I'd like to suggest that you NEVER (yes, I said NEVER 🙂 ) import directly into a final table. Too much can go wrong. My recommendation is to always import into a staging table, do any and all data cleansing/validations, and then insert (or merge, if required) the data into the final table.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply